BIOS Upgrade

August 25, 2005 6:52:03 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.accessibility,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

I need someone's unbiased opinion.

My computer is running slower and acting up sometimes. I have done all the
cleaning and tweaking I can.

My drive is just about full which can be a little problem. I wanted to check
my BIOS homepage to see if there is an update. The homepage sent me to
somewhere called support and they emailed me & phoned me [how they got
number is beyond me]. They said they had an update that I needed or my
machine would not run properly, this is part of their email: "ESupport.com
is the Exclusive Authorized Upgrade and Support Center for Award BIOS. For
the past 16 years, we have constantly upgraded thousands of motherboards and
developed new BIOS upgrades for all the latest technology. Based on the
technical specifications you had submitted, we have an excellent BIOS
Upgrade for your system. We have the brand new Award BIOS for your
motherboard. The price is only $29.95."

This is the info that I gave them:

BIOS ID String:----- 06/08/2004-KM266PRO-8235-6A6LYB09C

OEM Signon:-------- VIG0608 BF 400

Chipset:-------------- VIA 82C3205 REV 0

Super I/O:------------ ITE 8705/SIS 950 REV 2 FOUND AT PORT 2EH

I just wonder how badly I do need it and why do I pay I thought upgrades
were free, maybe I was too naive there ..the free part that is

Thanks for any input

More about : bios upgrade

Anonymous
August 25, 2005 8:05:06 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.accessibility,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

A BIOS upgrade will not necessarily enhance the performance
of your computer. You need to perform some routine maintenance
and forget about upgrading the BIOS.

Utilize the following recommended regime:

http://support.microsoft.com/?­id=827315

Download Ad-aware SE and scan your PC for the presence of sp­yware:
http://www.download.com/3000-2144-10045910.html?part=69...

Symantec Security Check
http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/default.asp?langid=i...

Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware

Antivirus software: Frequently asked questions
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/antivi...

Utilize the following maintenance programs, at least monthly,
to maintain the optimum performance of Windows XP:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310312&Product=winxp

How to Perform Disk Error Checking in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315265&Product=winxp

HOW TO: Analyze and Defragment a Disk in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;305781&Product=winxp

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Me2Ewe" wrote:

| I need someone's unbiased opinion.
|
| My computer is running slower and acting up sometimes. I have done all the
| cleaning and tweaking I can.
|
| My drive is just about full which can be a little problem. I wanted to check
| my BIOS homepage to see if there is an update. The homepage sent me to
| somewhere called support and they emailed me & phoned me [how they got
| number is beyond me]. They said they had an update that I needed or my
| machine would not run properly, this is part of their email: "ESupport.com
| is the Exclusive Authorized Upgrade and Support Center for Award BIOS. For
| the past 16 years, we have constantly upgraded thousands of motherboards and
| developed new BIOS upgrades for all the latest technology. Based on the
| technical specifications you had submitted, we have an excellent BIOS
| Upgrade for your system. We have the brand new Award BIOS for your
| motherboard. The price is only $29.95."
|
| This is the info that I gave them:
|
| BIOS ID String:----- 06/08/2004-KM266PRO-8235-6A6LYB09C
|
| OEM Signon:-------- VIG0608 BF 400
|
| Chipset:-------------- VIA 82C3205 REV 0
|
| Super I/O:------------ ITE 8705/SIS 950 REV 2 FOUND AT PORT 2EH
|
| I just wonder how badly I do need it and why do I pay I thought upgrades
| were free, maybe I was too naive there ..the free part that is
|
| Thanks for any input
Anonymous
August 25, 2005 9:05:35 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.accessibility,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

Me2

<quote>.. My drive is just about full which can be a little problem..
<endquote>

It can be more than a little problem.. it will affect a system's ability to
defragment properly, and will also affect Windows Virtual Memory.. the
system may crash out occasionally, which will cause problems with system
files.. it will definitely be a factor in your system running slow..

Re. cleaning, you should be using Disk Clean (already in Windows) and also
Spybot S&D, Adaware SE, and Spyware Blaster at the very least, and regularly
updated and run (every week, maybe)..

A handy site to help you is http://www.pcpitstop.com .. run your computer
through the tests, and it produces a report on system health and gives
upgrade and tweaking tips.. however, be wary of downloading or trying out
other utilities that are advertised on the site.. personally, I would and do
leave them all alone, barring the tests..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User

"Me2Ewe" <blaray@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I need someone's unbiased opinion.
>
> My computer is running slower and acting up sometimes. I have done all the
> cleaning and tweaking I can.
>
> My drive is just about full which can be a little problem. I wanted to
> check my BIOS homepage to see if there is an update. The homepage sent me
> to somewhere called support and they emailed me & phoned me [how they got
> number is beyond me]. They said they had an update that I needed or my
> machine would not run properly, this is part of their email: "ESupport.com
> is the Exclusive Authorized Upgrade and Support Center for Award BIOS. For
> the past 16 years, we have constantly upgraded thousands of motherboards
> and developed new BIOS upgrades for all the latest technology. Based on
> the technical specifications you had submitted, we have an excellent BIOS
> Upgrade for your system. We have the brand new Award BIOS for your
> motherboard. The price is only $29.95."
>
> This is the info that I gave them:
>
> BIOS ID String:----- 06/08/2004-KM266PRO-8235-6A6LYB09C
>
> OEM Signon:-------- VIG0608 BF 400
>
> Chipset:-------------- VIA 82C3205 REV 0
>
> Super I/O:------------ ITE 8705/SIS 950 REV 2 FOUND AT PORT 2EH
>
> I just wonder how badly I do need it and why do I pay I thought upgrades
> were free, maybe I was too naive there ..the free part that is
>
> Thanks for any input

August 25, 2005 9:05:36 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.accessibility,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

Wow you guys are fast at the replying mode.
When I said a little problem I meant that on a 20 GB partition I have 2,3
free space left. That's all. As for the rest I do the basics every 2 or 3
days since I am on it most of the day. I check for spyware, viruses worms
etc.
By Disc Clean do you mean Disc Cleanup utility if so I run that before
defragmenting at least weekly or sooner if deleting or moving files.
Maybe it is too full that would explain why it is freezing for no reason or
rebooting once in a while. I get a few 16-bit error messages which you kind
folks helped me fix.
So the general advice from both of you is to forget paying for an upgrade. I
always thought you did an upgrade if changing CPUs or something major.

> Me2
>
> <quote>.. My drive is just about full which can be a little problem..
> <endquote>
>
> It can be more than a little problem.. it will affect a system's ability
> to defragment properly, and will also affect Windows Virtual Memory.. the
> system may crash out occasionally, which will cause problems with system
> files.. it will definitely be a factor in your system running slow..
>
> Re. cleaning, you should be using Disk Clean (already in Windows) and also
> Spybot S&D, Adaware SE, and Spyware Blaster at the very least, and
> regularly updated and run (every week, maybe)..
>
> A handy site to help you is http://www.pcpitstop.com .. run your computer
> through the tests, and it produces a report on system health and gives
> upgrade and tweaking tips.. however, be wary of downloading or trying out
> other utilities that are advertised on the site.. personally, I would and
> do leave them all alone, barring the tests..
>
> --
> Mike Hall
> MVP - Windows Shell/User
>

> "Me2Ewe" <blaray@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>I need someone's unbiased opinion.
>>
>> My computer is running slower and acting up sometimes. I have done all
>> the cleaning and tweaking I can.
>>
>> My drive is just about full which can be a little problem. I wanted to
>> check my BIOS homepage to see if there is an update. The homepage sent me
>> to somewhere called support and they emailed me & phoned me [how they got
>> number is beyond me]. They said they had an update that I needed or my
>> machine would not run properly, this is part of their email:
>> "ESupport.com is the Exclusive Authorized Upgrade and Support Center for
>> Award BIOS. For the past 16 years, we have constantly upgraded thousands
>> of motherboards and developed new BIOS upgrades for all the latest
>> technology. Based on the technical specifications you had submitted, we
>> have an excellent BIOS Upgrade for your system. We have the brand new
>> Award BIOS for your motherboard. The price is only $29.95."
>>
>> This is the info that I gave them:
>>
>> BIOS ID String:----- 06/08/2004-KM266PRO-8235-6A6LYB09C
>>
>> OEM Signon:-------- VIG0608 BF 400
>>
>> Chipset:-------------- VIA 82C3205 REV 0
>>
>> Super I/O:------------ ITE 8705/SIS 950 REV 2 FOUND AT PORT 2EH
>>
>> I just wonder how badly I do need it and why do I pay I thought upgrades
>> were free, maybe I was too naive there ..the free part that is
>>
>> Thanks for any input

Anonymous
August 25, 2005 9:05:37 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.accessibility,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

I recently purchased and installed a new Maxtor 250GB hard drive
with a 16MB buffer. You would be amazed how fast it is!

Maxtor DiamondMax 10 6L250R0 250GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache
IDE Ultra ATA133 Hard Drive - OEM
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E1682...

You can transfer the entire contents of your old hard drive to the
new one using Maxtor's MaxBlast utility.
http://www.maxtor.com/portal/site/Maxtor/menuitem.3c67e...

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Me2Ewe" wrote:

| Wow you guys are fast at the replying mode.
| When I said a little problem I meant that on a 20 GB partition I have 2,3
| free space left. That's all. As for the rest I do the basics every 2 or 3
| days since I am on it most of the day. I check for spyware, viruses worms
| etc.
| By Disc Clean do you mean Disc Cleanup utility if so I run that before
| defragmenting at least weekly or sooner if deleting or moving files.
| Maybe it is too full that would explain why it is freezing for no reason or
| rebooting once in a while. I get a few 16-bit error messages which you kind
| folks helped me fix.
| So the general advice from both of you is to forget paying for an upgrade. I
| always thought you did an upgrade if changing CPUs or something major.
Anonymous
August 25, 2005 9:05:37 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.accessibility,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

Maxtor Ultra16 250GB, 7200RPM, Internal ATA/133 Hard Drive - Retail
http://www.compusa.com/adproducts/product_info.asp?prod...

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Me2Ewe" wrote:

| Wow you guys are fast at the replying mode.
| When I said a little problem I meant that on a 20 GB partition I have 2,3
| free space left. That's all. As for the rest I do the basics every 2 or 3
| days since I am on it most of the day. I check for spyware, viruses worms
| etc.
| By Disc Clean do you mean Disc Cleanup utility if so I run that before
| defragmenting at least weekly or sooner if deleting or moving files.
| Maybe it is too full that would explain why it is freezing for no reason or
| rebooting once in a while. I get a few 16-bit error messages which you kind
| folks helped me fix.
| So the general advice from both of you is to forget paying for an upgrade. I
| always thought you did an upgrade if changing CPUs or something major.
Anonymous
August 25, 2005 9:36:25 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.accessibility,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

Me2

For sure forget the BIOS upgrade.. a waste of money from that source.. BIOS
updates are produced by a mainboard manufacturer to patch problems that have
been found, and also to address issues like hard drive size handling etc..
they are not the panacea for all ills by a large margin, and execution can
lead to one's system being executed.. definitely best left alone..

Re. free space.. Windows Defrag needs 15% or thereabouts to function, and it
may seem wasteful, but 25% keeps Windows happier.. you have a little over
10% left, which is not really enough..

You might also consider upping RAM to 512mb if you haven't already.. others
will tell you that 256mb is enough, but it isn't if you want a decent
computing experience.. Windows XP feels the same way as I do about it.. :-)

--

news:o Kl%23PrbqFHA.3304@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> [...]
>>> my machine would not run properly, this is part of their email:
>>> "ESupport.com is the Exclusive Authorized Upgrade and Support Center for
>>> Award BIOS. For the past 16 years, we have constantly upgraded thousands
>>> of motherboards and developed new BIOS upgrades for all the latest
>>> technology. Based on the technical specifications you had submitted, we
>>> have an excellent BIOS Upgrade for your system. We have the brand new
>>> Award BIOS for your motherboard. The price is only $29.95."
>>>
>>> This is the info that I gave them:
>>>
>>> BIOS ID String:----- 06/08/2004-KM266PRO-8235-6A6LYB09C
>>>
>>> OEM Signon:-------- VIG0608 BF 400
>>>
>>> Chipset:-------------- VIA 82C3205 REV 0
>>>
>>> Super I/O:------------ ITE 8705/SIS 950 REV 2 FOUND AT PORT 2EH
>>>
>>> I just wonder how badly I do need it and why do I pay I thought upgrades
>>> were free, maybe I was too naive there ..the free part that is

August 26, 2005 1:21:23 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.accessibility,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

"Me2Ewe" <blaray@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I need someone's unbiased opinion.
>
> My computer is running slower and acting up sometimes. I have done all the
> cleaning and tweaking I can.
>
> My drive is just about full which can be a little problem. I wanted to
> check my BIOS homepage to see if there is an update.
First, why do you believe that patching the BIOS has anything to do with
your disk being full? You need a very sound reason to patch the BIOS
because, if you make a mistake, your motherboard is toast.
Perhaps in addition to the other posts, you need a bigger drive.
By the way, most motherboard makers give away upgrades.
Jim
Anonymous
August 26, 2005 11:54:19 AM

Me2Ewe wrote:

> I need someone's unbiased opinion.
>
> My computer is running slower and acting up sometimes. I have done
> all the cleaning and tweaking I can.
>
> My drive is just about full which can be a little problem. I wanted
> to check my BIOS homepage to see if there is an update.

It is *highly* unlikely that the BIOS has anything to do with your problem.
Do a BIOS upgrade if you need to--because you are having a problem that the
new version is known to fix--not just because one is available, or with the
hope of some undefined "improvement.".

Although a BIOS upgrade normally goes well, it is not without danger. If
something goes wrong while the upgrade is an progress (for example, a lapse
in power) you can be left with no BIOS at all, and an unbootable computer.
Do a BIOS upgrade if you need to--because you are having a problem that the
new version is known to fix--not just because one is available.

--
Ken Blake
Please Reply to the Newsgroup

!