Home nas setup suggestions (media center, htcp, extenders0

iwannaknow1

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2006
Good evening all,

I am wondering if any of you have the time to help me out with my home nas setup. I currently stream all my media from my main media center PC that has a 1tb hdd. I am worried that the HDD will fail so I really need to start backing up my data. I also need to upgrade on total storage, I constantly have to delete data because my hdd is getting full.

I'm thinking my best route would be to use a NAS box and also build a new box that would run windows home server.

I would like around 5TB of available space (3 TB minimum) and I would also like a viable backup solution ( I would hate to lose any data if the hdd failed).

Any pointers on how to start this? I'm looking at these seagate 1.5tb drives at the moment, thinking about picking them up for black friday.

Please give me your suggestions. Don't want to spend that much, but I realize that what I'm asking for could be expensive.

http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Barracuda-7200-11-Cache-ST31500341AS/dp/B00066IJPQ/ref=dp_return_1?ie=UTF8&n=172282&s=electronics#moreAboutThisProduct

G

Hi, I'm currently in the same market, however, I already have 4TBs of data not being backed up at the moment, so needless to say I've been losing sleep. I'm currently evaluating a product by Sans Digital. It's a 5-bay enclosure that can be had for $199 diskless. The bundled card is a 2-port esata PM that isn't the greatest in terms of speed but can be upgraded to a faster card in the future if you don't like the speed.

The product is: SANS DIGITAL TR5M-B 5 Bay SATA to eSATA (Port Multiplier) JBOD / RAID 0, 1, 1+0, 5 Enclosure

You can find it on newegg.com.

I'm just starting my research as well so I'm open to any ideas or opinions with cost effectiveness kept in mind...

belial2k

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2009
Nas boxes have always confused me somewhat...it seems they really don't offer much over what you can do in your main PC, and they can get really expensive. You can always add 3 or more internal HDDs to your main system (depending on your case), and with several affordable options of 1.5TB and 2TB drives, you can easily have 6gb or more of storage there. For backup, people often neglect the obvious. For anything you will keep permanently the best solution is to burn it onto DVD. Each DVD will hold over 4.5GB of data, and you can buy spindles of 100 for $20 or less....so that is 450GB of permanent, safe as you can get storage for $20. If that is not your cup of tea, get an external hard drive and download some backup hardware. This software can compress ( or image)and backup all the files you want every night onto the external HDD. Some external HDDs come with their own software, and windows 7 has its own backup software built in. This would all be much cheaper than a dedicated NAS box.