CPU temps MUCH higher than core temps?

rmerwede

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009
Hello all!

New to the forums wanted to say hello and thanks for all the info I have gained here thus far!

Question is:

Overclocking a Q9550 to 3.4 ghz on 1.200 vcore. So far 3 hours of prime95 stability and hottest core (0) load temps are hovering between 58-60 C. Idles at 39-43C... These temps are acceptable. Using RealTemp and CoreTemp and they agree 100%. Speedfan and HwMonitor also agree with these core temps. However, The CPU temp on the 2 latter applications are reading 111C at the moment!! This, of course, is not good... Good news is i don't feel any abnormal heat, or smell anything burning lol... Is this just a sensor issue? Does anyone have any experience with this type of senario? I have searched the forums, but usually people are experiencing that the CPU is lower than the cores. I have also read slightly higher temps, but nothing extreme such as this. Any insight or help on the matter is greatly appreciated!

Edit: I am using a Asus P5Q Mobo... P45 NB...

Update: After 4 hours of stable prime95, I decided to install Everest to see what it said about my system status. I am not sure if it was coincedence, but I got the blue screen of death when I started it up and the system shut down. I upped the Vcore to 1.208 and the DRAM and NB by .10. Running Prime again...

Thanks very much in advance!!

RM

rmerwede

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009
Hey All,

Thanks for your replies!

This Is My 1st OC btw... Done alot of reading the past year, and finally decided to go for it after replacing the stock cooler with a Cooler Master Hyper N520 yesterday... Anyways after upping the voltage, and uninstalling Everest and Speedfan, I am happy to report I ran Prime95 stable for 8 hours with 0 errors! Core temps at load were a solid 57 C hottest core (0), and is currently 38-39 C at idle/browsing. Also I received a normal CPU temp via HwMonitor: 42C load and 25C idle. I have a feeling it was a sensor conflict with Speedfan. It was stating 111C (237 F) only while it was installed. From what I have found It does not always work well with my mobo... Thanks again for the assistance. Look forward to dropping 8Gb of G.Skill PI Black into this thing and going nutz on that too lol!

Take care and thanks!

RM

PS: Nice Pot Overshocked! =O