Two or four modules?

Check the board manufacturer's website for memory recommendations. Some actually have tested brands and sizes listed. You can also download the board manual for additional info before ordering the board and ram. I usually get corsair and crucial, but my new compaq came with 1 gig sticks of samsung, which has performed flawlessly. The general rule of thumb is with all 4 slots filled, your board may default to a lower memory speed. Sometimes you can manually set it to the stated speed and timings; depends on the board and the memory voltage options. Right now, newegg has corsair 2x2gb sticks for $45 after rebate with free shipping. Filling all 4 slots with 2 gb sticks; definately check the manual for recommendations.

mopman

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2008
I had the same question, except for me its no real choice. I am upgrading to vista, and, being sort of a power user (meaning I just like having a pretty powerful computer and being able to handle most any task i guess) I want AT least 4 gigs of RAM so things dont go SLOWER than my current comp ( i would prefer a speed boast in games if anything).

So I WAS going to go for a pack of corsair RAM (2x2gb sticks) but I heard that 8gb in vista can make multitasking and such alot faster and i would be futureproofed. If I got 2 of those 2x2gb sets (each rated at 1066mhz) could I run them at 800mhz each at least (thats fast enough for me) and would they all work ok? my board supports 8 gigs of RAM and has 4 mem slots

stoner133

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2008
Most memory in 2x2gb form is tick slower then 2x1gb form when you look at memory timings. But some motherboards don't like 4 sticks of memory even if the board supports it, without tinkering with voltages for the memory. So going the 2x2gb route can be better, but to take full advantage of 4gb or more memory you must be running a 64 bit operating system. As for Vista, yes the 64 bit version loves 8gb of memory.

My Gigabyte board had no problems with 4x2gb memory configuration with Mushkin memory. All timings reported correctly using auto settings and auto voltages settings for the memory.