Raid is it eay

phippsy

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
i want to try and fit 2 hard drives in my pc and would like to setup raid is this easy to do and install windows 7 do i need any drivers or will it just install on the hard drives the same as when u have 1

shanky887614

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010
seems a bit of a waste of time setting up raid for just 2 hard drives

i got 2 hdd's and four partition's on my pc

(system,programs,data and backup (backup is on seperate hdd)

just plug new hdd into pc, make sure old one is above new one in boot order in bios and it should auto detect it

(talking about raid, there are diferent types that do differnet things, with only two hard drives i asume that you want one for backup's, if this is the case better to not use raid)

not much point using raid unless you want redundant data or use a few to get beter transfer speeds, using it for higher transfer speeds increases the chance that you will lose data if one of the hdd fail

in raid 0 for example, it is fast becasue it splits the data between all the drives but if one ofthe drives go say bye to your data

Step 1. check if your mobo has an onboard RAID solution. If no then go buy a RAID controller.

Step 2. Check what types of RAID your controller supports (usually 0, 1, 10, and 5). Decide which RAID is best for your needs.

Step 3. Backup files and settings. Going from a single disk to RAID will almost always require reinstalling your OS.

Step 4. Enjoy.