Need help to Overclock my Phenom x3 8650 with MSI K9A2 CF-F mobo

bluecat68

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2009
Hi . Good Day everyone . Newbies here who trying to overclock his "Phenom x3 8650 with MSI K9A2 CF-F
mobo but no luck .
Hoping to get some valuable help here and thanx first for any one who concern .
Here is some info about my spec which i think might help :

AMD Phenom x3 8650 (Stock Cooling)
MSI K9A2 CF-F motherboard
Sapphire HD 4830 (overclocked with ATI overdrive software to GPU 690 / Memory 1020 - Original should be
GPU clock 575 / Momory clock 900 )
Western Internal 500GB Hardisk
Anything else that i should list here ??
============================================================================
Cell Menu setting in Bios (Ms 7388 Bios ver V1.8 20081224)

D.O.T Control ------------------- Disable
AMD Cool 'n' Quiet -------------- Disable
HT Ratio --------------------------- Auto (max up to 13 but currently in 9x so my HT = 1800)
Adjust CPU FSB Frequency ---- 200
Adjust (1st) CPU Ratio --------- Auto (Max 11.5 and current in 11.5 too so my CPU clock = 2300)
Adjust (2nd) CPU Ratio -------- Auto (Grey Out cant select ; So whats this 2nd CPU ratio for?)
Adjust CPU Frequency --------- 2300
============================================================
Advance DRAM Configuration [Press Enter] => Auto (Preset)
------------------------------------------------------------ DCT 0
------------------------------------------------------------ DCT 1
------------------------------------------------------------ Both ( So whats the diffrent within this 4 option )
FSB/Memory Ratio -------------------------- 1:2
Adjusted DDR Memory Frequency ------ 800
Adjust PCIE Frequency --------------------- 100
Auto Disable DIMM/PCI Frequency ------- Disable
CPU Voltage --------------------- Auto
Memory Voltage ---------------- Auto
NB Voltage ----------------------- Auto
HyperTransport Voltage -------- Auto
Spread Spectrum ---------------- Disable

Note : from AMD overdrive monitoring tools i know that
my Hypertransport speed -------- 1800Mhz .
Northbridge speed ---------------- 1800Mhz in 9x multiplier
Southbridge speed ---------------- 350Mhz

So above is the Cell Menu default setting & some other info , please let me know if any other info is
needed for a solid suggestion to overclock this system .

My 8650 CPU already reach its max 11.5x multiplier to get 2300 ( 11.5 x 200 ) so i guess the only way
to get a higher CPU clock speed is to increase the FSB frequency right ? But the odd is no matter how
low the others frequency i set for the cpu + HT + memory i jus cant get the system post after i save the
bios & restart even the FSB frequency jus increase by +1 .

Example for my system fail to post if i set something like this .

HT ratio ---------------- 9x change to 4x so i get 800
CPU FSB Frequency --- 200 change to 201
(1st) CPU Ratio ------- 11.5x change to 5x so i get 1005 CPU frequency
(2nd) CPU Ratio -------- Auto ( not available to change )
FSB/Memory Ratio ----- 1:2 change to 1:1 so i get 400 Memory frequency

The only way to make it post and log in windows is to power off the system & restart . but if try restart
after log in windows then it wont post again .

So any advise or suggestion ?? Or should i update my Bios first ?? Thanx again for the help & sorry
for my poor english .

flyin15sec

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008
I would reset your cmos first. Load fail safe defaults. Then download and update to the latest BIOS. I think it's at version 1.A now.

Then retry overclocking again.

xtc28

Distinguished
May 8, 2009
You might be suprised to know that these cpu's were not good overclockers to begin with. The 8650 could only really get a 300 mhz overclock and that sux. I have tried over and over on several 8650 chips and very few actually OC'd at all. Only one that I OCd actually made the 300MHz OC. Stick to stock clocks or get a PII

bluecat68

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2009

First of all thanx for the reply . :D I understand what you try to say but i jus hope i can learn something from this overclocking process since this is the first time i try , i dont mind even though i fail to over clock my 8650 at last . I do read some article say that 8650 is hard to oc but theres also many 8650 users manage to oc it till 2900Mhz .. :D
Actually what i wanna find out now is why my motherboard refuse to post from bios if i change its FSB frequency from 200 to 201 ? its doesnt make sense to me since 200 is default FSB setting & its start become unstable even jus increase the FSB by +1 ??

Sorry for my English :D

bluecat68

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2009

First of all Thanx for reply . :D
I do consider to update the bios first & you are right its 1.a version .

But what i wanna find out now is why my motherboard refuse to post from bios if i change its FSB frequency from 200 to 201 ? its doesnt make sense to me since 200 is default FSB setting & its start become unstable even jus increase the FSB by +1 ??

One more Question here if you dont mind :D what is the diffferent between W & V in power supply ? I mean i saw my power supply show a very big 500W on the label and then another item like AV input show something like
185V to 264V . So how to explain these ?

Thanx for reading again & Sorry for my English :D

xtc28

Distinguished
May 8, 2009
ok
W= watts- It measures rate of energy conversion to heat
v= volts- the SI derived unit of electromotive force

NOw lets get back to the Phenom. I think you would be better off learning to OC on something a bit easier. Turning up the reference clock even a little with the Phenom 1 was never a good way to OC that chip, They all have problems running with a higher reference clock- i.e. 200Mhz +1Mhz = 201Mhz. This will almost always make the 8650 not post. The best way to OC that chip is by the multiplyer and voltage increases, but your chip is not a black edition, it will not OC by the multiplier. You need a black edition to OC with AMD. AMD did not intend for the non-Black Editions to OC. AGAIN, I must ADVISE AGAINST OCing this chip. It doesnt provide stability nor any real usable gains, only more heat, alot less life, headaches for you and me and more problems than its worth. I will maintain the notion to get a Phenom II 550 or 720.

flyin15sec

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008
The only thing I can think of regarding the voltages is : US uses 120V and most international uses 220V. However the voltages you listed are above the standard ratings.

I have your board, paired up with an AthlonII currently. I am able to get up to 240mhz bus speed. Although this board is not the greatest overclocker, it should still manage to do decently.

I don't see why your system will not post with just 1mhz increase, but it could very well be BIOS related.

xtc28

Distinguished
May 8, 2009
8650 related it doesnt like upped ref clocks. Athlon II would even be a better choice than the 8650. They were junk from the get go.

bluecat68

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2009

So sad to know that the 8650 is not good to overclock . Next time i should do more survey first before i buy a new
CPU :D
Ok now 2nd Question if you dont mind , by +1 my FSB to 201 the system wont post if i jus save & exit from the Bios , but if i shut down my system after save the bios and start again then my system do post & log in to windows successfully . :D
Thanx for reading ya . Good day

xtc28

Distinguished
May 8, 2009
The 200 you reference is really not the FSB it is really the reference clock AKA - BASE CLOCK. This is what I was talking about in my last post. The 8650's do not like to have their base clocks (what you are calling FSB) raised, also you cannot raise your multiplier. YOU ARE STUCK WITH THE SETTINGS/CLOCKS YOU HAVE!!!!!!!!!
AGAIN, if you want to OC get a Phenom II or athlon II. Quit messing around with that processor and get a good one for OCing. NOT A PHENOM I, they suck for OCing.

bluecat68

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2009

ok i get it .. might have to wait until the next CPU before i can learn to OC again .
Anyway thanx for the advise .. much appreciate .
Good day & good health .

Sorry dude but you may be SOL. Anyway make sure you try the following anyway

increase the northbridge and RAM voltage by one step to add some stability.

Manually set the RAM timings and loosen them as much as you can to make sure it's not the RAM holding you back. If your RAM doesn't have a profile for DDR2 400 and your board tries to be helpful and tighten the timings too much it won't boot.

bluecat68

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2009

Ok thanx for your suggestion but i not yet google it out how to loosen the ram timings yet :D
I totally dont know whats the different between say 4-4-4-18-26 with 5-5-5-16-24 :lol:
I know that my DDR2 800 default voltage is 1.8v , is it safe to increase if its already 1.8v now ?
Finally , whats mean by SOL ??
Thanx for reading . Wish good mood good health good wealth :bounce:

NukK

Honorable
Dec 5, 2012
I hate to be a necromancer but this thread bothered me pretty badly.

There is just so. much. awful. info... its painful.

# Writing this post on side rig ||> RUNNING AN 8650 <||. Here's the immediate operation specs regarding CPU...

##> Phenom x3 8650 2.3 (Toliman) OC'd CASUALLY @ 2.89 Ghz

##> Currently, 93% CPU load -> Temps are 27*c across all three cores. ( L=22*c | H=31*c ) (**compressing files atm)

##> Stock heatsink, and a 72mm AVC @ 5300rpm

##> Thermal Compound - Antec Formula 7 Nano Diamond (a.k.a. The most magic sh*t ever made.)

##> ambient room temp of 75*f - 78*f

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It seemed like the posters were more interested in just telling OP to upgrade his hardware, when he really just wanted to LEARN using something he had already.

I hope he found a better forum to ask his questions in... because he obviously wanted to learn, especially before investing more money in something he could potentially break due to inexperience.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For the record (that no one will ever hear, or care about..)

This chip is a BEAST. By far one of the best responses to overclocking I have ever seen.

With the same setup as above.......
##>> I reached an OC of 3.1+ with POST success - before my kernel began to "panic". (increasing the voltage would probably stabilize it... but not going to do that on this comp i just use for data stuff. ;P )

##!!!## Current overall settings for my 100% stable OC. (ive dropped bombs of benchmarks on it just fine.)

!~ FSB/BC = 252 Mhz (Highest truly stable OC attained was 262 here. Read voltage comment above.)

!~ CPU == 11.5x @ 2.89

!~ NB ==== 7x @ 1764

!~ RAM == 1:1:66 @ 839 (4x 2GB PC2-6400) (2x Crucial, 2x Transcend)

!~ HT ==== x7 @ 1764

This is one hell of a chip. 'Nuff said.

i agree,this chip is easily overclocked.mine is ocd to 2785 mhz with a clock speed of 242mhz.my motherboard is a foxconn m61pmv. my core temp right now is 12c.mind you im just surfing the net at the moment.on a stress test with occt the temp topped out at 55c.what i found is its not so much the chip that makes overclocking difficult but is in stead the motherboard. mine was easy and im impressed with the performance.i realize this is an old thread but also felt that with some this is still relevant.

mine is now running at 2.94 ghz and just fine.