AIW X1900 Display Loss, Beep Codes

ad_ept

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2006
Apologies for the gappy information on this post- I'm asking something for a friend without having seen the problem at first hand yet. He has an ATi AIW X1900 which keeps cutting out every now and again, usually causing a hard reboot.Sometimes the pc reboots fine, but often the display will not come back up and the monitor will say 'no signal'.When this happens he gets a beep code, which he says isn't described in his motherboard manual, and the two LED lights next to the power socket on the graphics card light up.Neither of us have been able to find out what the LEDs are supposed to indicate (anyone know this?).

I am guessing the problem is either that the card is overheating- hence it not happening all the time, or that the power supply is either not getting enough power to the card, or is malfunctioning.

Does anyone know whether either of these is likely to be correct, or whether it might be something else?

Thanks in advance for any help.

einstein4pres

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2007
Those sound plausible. Has he tried stressing the video card with ATITool or similar? How do the temperatures look on the card? What brand and model is the power supply?

Has he run memtest? What are the CPU temperatures?

ad_ept

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2006
Thanks for your help.

He hasn't done any stress testing because he doesn't have internet access on the computer at the moment (very annoying).

He says he can't remember what brand the PSU is, and can't see the sticker on it because it's maybe on the top, but that it was an expensive, branded one, and he swapped out the one that came with his case for it.

I'll get him to check on cpu temperatures- I hadn't thought of that.

How long has he had this card? The fix could be as simple as reseating the card a couple of times. Small chance, but worth a shot. I've had the same problem on a AIW card and that was all it took, so worth a shot.

ad_ept

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2006
Cheers.He's had it for about 18 months.He's bringing it round to mine tonight so I'll have a go. He says he isn't getting any display at all now, which is worrying. Apparently the beep code he gets is five beeps. Does this mean anything to anyone?