Sign in with
Your question

Registry in need of repair?

Last response: in Windows XP
November 27, 2010 1:16:03 AM

After uninstalling Norton antivirus, began having internet connection issues. I uninstalled SP3 via control panel/add-remove programs which may have made matters worse. DHCP Client Properties and TCP/IP NetBios Helper are no longer automatically starting up, and when I attempt to manually start them, i get the message Error 1075: The dependency service does not exist or has been marked for deletion. Looking at the services' dependencies, NetBios over Tcpip is missing from each of them. (I compared services on a pc that is making an internet connection to the non-connecting machine). Comparing the registries (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services) I noticed that NetBT is missing. If that in fact is causing my problem, what would be the best way for me to recreate the NetBT registry key?

FYI, a repair installation is not an option, as that is not available on the Sony Vaio System & Application recovery disk.

I welcome any and all suggestions...

More about : registry repair

November 27, 2010 1:45:34 AM

have you tried disabling or even uninstalling Norton?

you might also try to uninstall the network adapter and reinstalling it.
m
l
Related resources
November 27, 2010 3:52:34 AM

Just use the system restore points to roll back to before you uninstalled Norton. It won't reinstall Norton, but it should restore any system files that were damaged by the botched Norton uninstall.

After that, download ccleaner, and run the registry tool. You may need to run it several times to resolve all the issues.
http://www.piriform.com/

Next time you need to uninstall a program, use revo uninstaller. It's more effective than the control panel method, and it has an option to scan for leftover registry traces.
http://www.revouninstaller.com/
m
l
November 27, 2010 5:14:58 AM

CCleaner will clear unnecessary Registry entries but it can't recreate the missing NetBT key. It might be necessary to import that form another computer but before that, I would recommend running the Norton Removal Tool from Symantec's website to get rid of the remainder of Norton. Then, after a restart it will still try to go online to beg you to keep it and for that, it may repair things it damaged.

Even after all this, there will still be Norton and Symantec folders in Programme Files>Common Files and in some Application Data folders
m
l
November 27, 2010 1:15:02 PM

Prior to posting my query I had already tried uninstalling the network adapter, henydiah's microsoft solution, and a system restore to no avail. I'm going to give the Norton Removal a shot, but still have no idea how to add registry keys. Can the missing key and pertinent values be imported from a working pc (with same OS)? If not, what's the best way to add the necessary info\data to the registry?
m
l
November 28, 2010 7:15:41 AM

kaisersoze said:
Prior to posting my query I had already tried uninstalling the network adapter, henydiah's microsoft solution, and a system restore to no avail. I'm going to give the Norton Removal a shot, but still have no idea how to add registry keys. Can the missing key and pertinent values be imported from a working pc (with same OS)? If not, what's the best way to add the necessary info\data to the registry?

As to importing from another computer, you need to go into that Registry and find the relevant key, then from the File menu, select Export and note the location of the file you just created. Pop it on to a memory stick and present it to your flawed system. Go into your Registry and select Export again from File and create a backup of your entire Registry before adding anything foreign into it. Once that's done, File and Import then select the filename from the stick and you have a copy of the key you need. Some Registry changes only take after the system has been restarted twice.

m
l
November 30, 2010 12:12:28 PM

I was able to merge the pertinent registry key and values successfully, as NetBT now is in the H_KEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services, and NetBios over Tcpip appears as a dependency in each DHCP Client Properties and TCP/IP NetBios Helper services.

However, after multiple reboots, DHCP Client Properties and TCP/IP NetBios Helper services still are not starting up automatically, and when I try to start them manually, I get "Error 1068: The dependency service failed to start". FYI, NetBios over Tcpip is not showing up in Device manager\Hidden devices\non-Plug and Play Drivers.

I thought I was out of the woods - thanks to all for your help thus far. Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations get me into the clear?

m
l
October 23, 2011 2:52:25 AM

Try this, it worked for getting my missing Netbt service back running and the 1075 error and a lot of other damage left by a virus/trojan orgy. Customers machine now connecting and playing nice with others again. Hope it helps out. It is the best thing I have found after MANY hours searching and trying to resolve this by every means I could find.

The Microsoft Fixit 50203 link about half way down the page.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811259
m
l
January 21, 2012 5:12:32 PM

kaisersoze said:
I was able to merge the pertinent registry key and values successfully, as NetBT now is in the H_KEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services, and NetBios over Tcpip appears as a dependency in each DHCP Client Properties and TCP/IP NetBios Helper services.

Double-check those edits. One bad character is all it takes.

If you are sure the registry is right, one of the drivers may still be infected, and dodging anti-virus scans. If so,
sfd -scannow
may fix that.
Or, just get the good files (afd.sys, tcpip.sys, netbios.sys, netbt.sys, ipsec.sys) from a working identical machine, or from the service pack, or from the XP install CD. Do a file compare. If the files do not match, back up the "bad" ones, then replace them. Reboot.
m
l
January 22, 2012 8:11:09 AM

M_O_U said:

sfd -scannow

Sorry to appear picky, M_O_U but that's sfc /scannow.

m
l
January 22, 2012 4:43:47 PM

Thanks, i have afd on the brain, and ADD too i guess ...

m
l
January 31, 2012 2:59:37 AM

kaisersoze said:

Hello kaisersoze - I am having the exact same problem and pulling my hair out....did you ever find a solution that worked?
m
l
!