ASUS rampage formula x48 chipset
Xigmatech SDT-1283 CPU fan
Intel Quad Core Q9450
8 GB's of 1066Mhz OCZ memory, PC8500
Western Digital 640GB 7200 RPM 3.0 GB/s HD
LG DVD/DVD-RW/CD/CD-RW bay
Antec 900 Case
Visiontek 4870 Vid Card
Corsair 1000W PSU, Xfire supported(getting another 4870 in next month or two)
Currently using a vx922 19' monitor(getting a new one in a month)

When i boot up my computer, all the leds come on, all my fans work(cpu,vid card, 4 Case fans including LEDS) and my Supreme FX sound card LED turns on. However, i never hear my mb run any Beeps so i don't know if it is running POST bootup or not, i installed the ASUS Quickconnecter for Power switch,Reset and HDD led or something but there was also another two things one which i believe was for the MB sounds but my case never came with the connectors for it like it did for the Power button, reset switch and the HDD port. I installed the USB ports to the ones next to the ASUS quick connector(white thing at bottom right of motherboard). Installing the fan was a pain in the ass and kept falling off but i finally got it stably in. I did put a crapload of Artic Silver Thermal compound at the bottom of the Xigmatech heatsink, could that cause my cpu problems? The main concern i have right now though is the fact i don't even have a display. When i bootup i get all my mb leds to turn on,the ones for memory,hd, and cpu voltages, which display green,yellow and red. However, i also get 3 Red leds on my Video card to turn on. It looks like Red None Red Red, on the top of Vid card facing the top of my case. Does anyone know what is going on? I have two 6 pin connecters from my PSU running to my vid card and the fan on it is working but i am still getting no Display on my Monitor. I'm using the DVI port that came with it but it is a old monitor. I used the DVI port with my last computer and it worked fine.

So basically, if you don't want to read everything, my computer wont display anything on boot. all leds come on, but there are also 3 RED leds on the video card that come on that i don't think should. In this order On Off On On. Some one please help me find the problem !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

redrage

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2008
I have read the manual, i just don't understand why all LEDS are booting up on the MB, from what i read i thought the different Leds where suppose to come on for different voltages, not all at once. Ill try messing with the memory, see if that will fix the problem

redrage

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2008
Vid card is a Vistiontek 4870,i've tried both the 6 pin to two 4 pin adapter with a 6 pin connected also and then two 6 pin connectors, like i said though on bootup it doesn't run POST, because i hear no beeps and there are 3 red LEDS on the video card that come on. 4 leds on it but 3 turn red in this order, On off On On. The fan on the card is coming on, so i think its getting power but i'm unsure if it is using the correct voltages/amps going into it.

dismalrain

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
Your MB should of came with a little screen that will display the boot process. If there is problem a code will be displayed on that screen and you will need to look into the manual to see what it is. But have a lot of thermal compound is a bad bad thing. you want a thin even layer on your cpu.

If you have a speaker hooked up to the MB you should hear a beep or series of beeps. If you dont hear anything take your RAM, Video, Sound and HD off the MB and see if you can get it to beep if not your CPU or MB is more then likely dead. If you do get some beeping then install RAM and try again, if no beep bad RAM then put in video card and you should get some stuff on screen and then your HD last. You can do a google search for CPU Beep Codes if you really want to find out what the different beeping means.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
as dismal said, your motherboard should have come with a poster... when you boot, check where it gets stuck, and theres your problem! If you don't know what the message means, just look in your rampage manual, it should tell you...this helped me fix my own problem with my maximus formula

redrage

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2008
Alright, so here is a update, i got it running, turns out i forgot to connect the 8 pin power connector along with the 24 pin :pfff: :pt1cable: . After i put that in, my computer booted right up. I installed vista no problem, it recognized my 8 Gb's of ram, i changed the Mhz to 1066 in bios and i tried running 400 mhz FSB, however, after that i ran Coretemp, and i saw my 4 cores were running at around 77 degrees Celsius avg for each one and i went :eek:, so then i turned my FSB back to stock and it dropped my CPU temp to around 50 at IDLE with 75+ at load playing a older steam game, TFC. I tried running Prime test and it shutdown my comp after the 2-3 CPU test. Also while playing my game in steam, tfc my computer randomly shutdown. I believe these were both due to CPU overheating so i took my case apart to try and remount my Xigmatech SDT1283 cooler and when i tried rebooting, bam, my computer doesn't bootup. I've been trying everything to get it to run again with no prevail. Every time i try to boot it, it turns on for about 3 seconds then shuts off and repeats over and over. Anyone know what could be happening? Could i have fried my CPU? this makes me very frustrated being that i spent about 40$ on the CPU cooler and it wasn't even keeping my CPU cool, but then again the comp is brand new, maybe it just needed to get sealed and allow the thermal greese to seep in. Anyone know why my CPU would be running this hot with this cooler? But my main concern is getting it up and running again. Oh and i did install the LCD poster, which is the bootup display, but unfortunately it got tore off after trying to get the computer run when it stopped working, i was going back and forth between my desktop and kitchen which had hardwood to ground me somewhat and it got caught on a table and tore off, so i can't use that anymore.