What happens if you mix Arctic silver 5 with Zalman stg1?

johnnycox

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2009
If they are mixed and then applied to a cpu would it be harmful? or would it not work as well as if one was applied by itself?

The solvents will interact and create an acidic solution that will eat through the IHS. :eek:

:lol:

You will not gain anything by mixing them. Like OvrClkr said, just use the AS-5.

All the reviews show that the Zalman STG1 is a better performer than AS5, I recommend using just the STG1.

While AS5 is a good thermal grease, the fact is there are newer and better products on the market than AS5. Products like Tuniq TX-2, Zalman STG1, and my newest favorite thermal compound Noctua NT-H1.

I would not call them better than the other....

I have used 5 different compounds that include the Tuniq TX-2, Zalman STG1, Noctua, OCZ and AS-5... All 5 run @ the same temps under idle or load (some differ from other's by -1 or -2c at the most)..... So in all its a matter of taste... Don't think that you will drastically lower your temps just cause you went from AS-5 to the Tuniq paste....It does not work that way... The cooler is a major factor when comparing different compounds...

neon neophyte

Splendid
BANNED
the biggest jump in temp was from that shitty white thermal compound that was used on everything way back when to the first arctic silver, then granted, slow progression, it slowly got better.

its not gonna get much better anymore.

True that!! that stuff was horrible...... :pfff:

Agreed. Also, it matters how "flat" your CPU and heatsink bases are.

johnnycox

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2009
Thanks for replying, but i wasn't asking which was better.

I was just curious to know what would actually happen if you were to mix the two.

No,no,no,no... it will create a black hole :lol: (LHC any one?)

xtc28

Distinguished
May 8, 2009

ROFL lol lol hahahaha

Well since they are different solutions it will be pretty hard to properly mix them so that you get a good consistency. Rather you will end up with an inconsistent paste that would have some areas hotter than others. Also if you got some air bubbles in there then that would really lower it's effectiveness. There is also no telling if some of the elements in each solution may react with the other causing it to solidify into a cakey, ineffective mess. Well, at least till that mess no longer cools your CPU and the darn thing just fries leaving you a toasted mess :D.

amnotanoobie

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2006
Even if you do mix the two properly and get a proper consistency, you gain nothing. Last reviews I read would rank the STG-1 and AS5 neck-and-neck, so you'd still get the same performance, if not worse. For these kinds of mixing, it's not a case of i.e. 1 + 1 = better, it'd be a (1 + 1) / 2 = same result.

Or you could create a tear through the space-time continuum, but what would I know.