• Hard Drives
  • NAS / RAID
  • OCZ
  • Vertex
  • Storage
  • Product
Last response: in Storage
November 24, 2009 6:00:25 PM

I am trying to decide between purchasing two 30GB OCZ Vertexes in RAID 0 (for 60GB total) and just purchasing a single 60GB Vertex. The 60GB version is a bit cheaper, but the 30GB combination would offer better performance and it seems like the increase in the failure rate would not be as much of a problem with SSDs. Thank you for your time!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submi...

More about : ocz vertex decision

a b G Storage
November 25, 2009 1:09:09 AM

It depends...are you looking for performance or a bit more storage? If it is storage for the OS and commonly used apps, I'd play it safe and go with the 60GB model.
m
l
a c 415 G Storage
November 25, 2009 4:43:31 AM

RAID won't make the SSDs particularly faster for random I/O performance, and that's the major benefit of buying an SSD. If it were me I'd go with the single 60GB drive.

The only reason to use RAID would be to increase the sequential transfer rate - that would be important if you're going to run programs that access large files on the drive. Examples might include using Photoshop to edit RAW camera files or doing video editing.
m
l
Related resources
November 25, 2009 4:45:02 AM

Believe it or not, the SSD would hold almost all of the contents of the computer (60GB is actually enough for this person's usage).

Just as another option, I was considering the 80GB X25-m as well...

Thank you for your answer.

Edit: sminlal posted while I was typing my post up. The computer is going to be used for productivity mostly - working with large excel spreadsheets primarily. Would RAID help with this?

Although the computer will not be used for gaming at all, out of curiosity, would RAID be of any benefit there?
m
l
a c 415 G Storage
November 25, 2009 7:25:02 PM

Office and internet usage probably wouldn't benefit much, if at all, from a RAID configuration. I think a single SSD is going to be plenty fast enough for just about anything you're likely to do in that kind of workload.

Once a game is loaded, it's speed isn't likely to be helped by a fast hard drive unless for some reason the game needs to read stuff from the drive. That shouldn't happen for most games unless you don't have enough RAM to completely hold everything the game uses - but in that case you'd be better off getting more RAM than worrying about the speed of the disks.
m
l
a b G Storage
November 25, 2009 7:44:48 PM

I'd also want to point out that very few, if not no, RAID controllers will support the TRIM function of SSD. I don`t know how much of a performance impact this can have and how much time it can take to get there, but still something that might be worth considering.
m
l
!