Time for my stupid RAID 0 question -

WhyFi

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
I have a year-and-a-half old WD Raptor X but I kinda want to set up a RAID 0 - are there any good reasons not to use the Raptor X paired with a new VelociRaptor? I'd rather not buy two VelociRaptors and putting my Raptor X in any other PC in the house would be a stupid waste.

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2008
if you expect any performance gain from raiding drive you have to use identical drives.

that said either a caviar black or seagate.12 will outperform the raptor, so you may want to get two of those for less than a veloci and set up a raid array with those more space, better performance, and less money

Pay careful attention to what kind of performance you're looking for or that other people are making claims about. RAID increases sequential transfer rate, but does basically nothing to reduce access time. A Raptor may have a slower transfer rate than a current Caviar Black or Seagate drive, but it will still have a faster access time due to it's higher spin rate.

You will get some improvement in transfer rates with mixed drives, but it won't be as much as with two high-speed drives. But whether that makes a difference in your system depends on whether the thing that's slowing you down is bulk transfers or random access. For most people, booting and loading times are constrained by access times, and a RAID array really doesn't do very much to improve them.

siminlal has it right.

There is generally no real world(vs. synthetic transfer rate benchmarks) performance advantage to raid of any kind.
Go to www.storagereview.com at this link: http://faq.storagereview.com/tiki-index.php?page=SingleDriveVsRaid0
There are some specific applications that will benefit, but
gaming is not one of them. Even if you have an application which reads one input file sequentially, and writes
it out, you will perform about as well by putting the input on one drive, and the output on the other.

For a faster OS, invest in a good SSD.

WhyFi

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
Ah... well, a faster, more responsive OS would be nice, and I do transfer large file over a gigabit network, but I guess that that would be constrained by read/writes on both sides of the transfer...

I guess that I'm happy with the performance as-is, but my primary is getting a little cramped, hence the desire to expand, not let a Raptor go to waste, and improve performance (if possible) while I'm at it.

Transferring files over a network will be limited in speed by the network, not the hard drive. The original raptor is no longer the fastest drive around.

you have several options:
1) Get a 300gb velociraptor to increase your primary drive space.
2) Use a WD black 1tb drive. The fastest part of the drive will be about as fast as the velociraptor.

Either sell the raptor or use it as a backup drive, either internally, or, better yet, in an external enclosure.