Cheapest WC Set up for less than $200? Me haz it :D

MY recommendations for a sub $200 water cooling set up.

Ok,
First off let me make it clear that I am assuming a bit of modding skill from the end user who will be building a loop like this.
Second, the pump will need a bit of work to be fitted and will not be the best pump and therefor, performance will NOT be like a D5.
Third, I was looking for the cheapest loop that can be built with out using ridiculously low quality parts (ie. not using "used" stuff )
Fourth, this loop is meant to be upgraded when the builder has more money (esp. the pump)
Fifth, a loop like this is not for everyone.
Sixth, cooling assumptions are based on a i7 or similar system.

CPU Block:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835108110

Swiftech GTZ. This is a high end water block and the top of the line block from Swiftech. It's more expensive than anything else in the loop, but this block will be used by a user for a few generations of CPUs.
$60

Pump:
This usually is one of the most costlier parts in a loop. A decent pump that can provide good flow will work quite decently. Based on personal use for projects, this works well. I would say this is similer to or a bit better than a MCP355 (when it comes to flow rate). Actual flow rate for this is ~250GPM or so NOT 500+ GPM:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Via-Aqua-306-Aquarium-Fountain-Pump-0-526-gph_W0QQitemZ270433689216QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3ef71a9e80&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14
$20-25
Also, note that this is an AC pump, so you can't just plug it in to your PSU. You will also need to get a relay to turn off/on pump with the PC. ( http://www.dangerden.com/store/pump-relay-switch-kit.html
$18)
Total for pump + relay: $38, which is ~ ½ the price of a MCP355 or a MCP655 (aka D5).
More specs for pump: http://americanaquariumproducts.com/ViaAqua306.html

Res:
You have to be creative here. Use any thing that can hold water :p. Price $10-20 or Free. (I find that any large sized plastic object works as long as it's leak proof)

Rad:
Review of a heatercore: http://martinsliquidlab.i4memory.com/Bonnie-Heatercore-Review.html
Note: Shroud will improve performance but that's about $15 more. Instead you can find a way to mount the fans ~1/2" away from the heater core. Use your imagination.
2nd most important part in a loop imo. A heater core can be picked up for $34 here: http://www.dangerden.com/store/double-heater-core-with-fittings.html
(Make sure you get the correct fittings selected when ordering)
Fans for a heatercore should be highflow fans for best performance.
2x Scythe Slipstream fans work well
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185060
($9 each)
Total for rad + fans : $52.

Tubing:
I prefer Tygon for water cooling due to the flexibility.
http://www.petrastechshop.com/1id3odtyr.html
Total (for 4ft): $16

Total for everything: 60 + 38 + 10 + 52 + 16 = $176
Price comes close to the usual “water cooling kits” sold by TT,etc. This will perform better than most of those kits hands down and has better quality (better block, good rad/fans, pretty decent pump). Shop around, and you might find these things cheaper.

Word of advice: DO NOT buy used pumps,etc from Ebay as you do not know what's happened to those pumps. Blocks are OK I guess. But it's still a risk imo.

Conumdrum

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
I like this! Good post Shadow!
Lets talk about it's ability to cool. Is it better than a good MCR 220? Then you add $10 and still under $200.

The pump is enuff for this loop.

It's a winner, but a much easier rad to work with should be considered.

I still like it.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Heater cores work great with a little DIY. You can use about any fans with them because they are lower density fins (most of the time) and they have a lot more copper/bronze in them making heat transfer better. They are ugly, though and require some work to get them to fit in most applications. IF you want to look past that for price/performance and set up your fittings, fans, mounting...etc...they work great and almost always offer very low flow restriction.

I'll take a closer look to the rad and get back to you on that.

Ok, looked at the rads, and if one doesn't want to mod sure the good o'l 220 will be fine. If one plans to mount like lat say... a small mini 9" desk fan (some thing my friend has done lol) heater core will be better.

Pics!

Same pump, random rad, my own CPU block* :D Didn't have any spare 120mm fans so had to use 2x80mm. Using some cheap Acrylic tubing I had lying around.
3799471746_a541bdcafe_b.jpg

Sorry for the mess ;)

Bonus points for who ever can guess what I used for the res :lol:
I took over my sis bath room, since she's at summer camp :lol:

*Will provide update on that in a few weeks.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Giant canister of peanut butter filled pretzels?

I have a oil cooler like the one you have, but its got a lot more passes. I had 4x 120's on it and it still had room left. 1/2" tubing fits right over the top...interested?
IMG_2983.jpg

What kind of a pump do you have that has enough head to handle that multi-pass oil cooler? I'm just curious as I don't know a whole lot about the finer points of water cooling and have just started to read up a bit on it. I'm wanting to learn more about water cooling as I am most likely going to water cool my next build (see my sig) because I want it to be quiet and also because of the lack of good air coolers for dual-socket machines. I want to more or less have a decent clue about it before I go ahead and build it. I don't exactly want to have one of those "teachable moments" that leads to a grand or more worth of parts letting the magic smoke out.

^Long time no see man. The clasic cut'n paste:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/252455-29-water-cooled-computer#t1801333

I see that you plan to do a 2P Opty, why? And ETA of 2011??? Are you waiting for those Ocot cores?

Conumdrum

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
Well.... The retail kit, meaning quality parts and not:
Thermaltake
Zalman
Koolance cooling unit (Koolance makes some good individual parts tho)
Corsair H50
etc

You need a good pump and waterblock as the foundation. The rad and res and even hose can be played with to keep costs down.

I intend to do a dual-socket Opteron build because the things that really tax my current system are massively multithreaded and take a long time to finish. Probably the ugliest thing my computer does is compile a lot of code as I run Gentoo Linux on my desktop. I have tried to "kick the habit" and switch to a binary-based distribution on my desktop but keep coming back to Gentoo as it often is the easiest way to do certain things. However, you have to do a lot of compiling to get it running and to keep it updated. For example, it is great to have a tweaked 64-bit copy of OpenOffice.org that slices through the 60 MB PowerPoint files that everybody sends me like a hot knife through butter, but it's not so great to wait for five hours for the thing to compile. Ditto for having a nice KDE4 desktop that doesn't have the multitude of bugs that plague KDE4 on every binary-based distribution I've used. KDE4 also takes forever to compile. The other two tasks that are the most taxing are managing disk images and video editing. I use Parallel Bzip2 to compress huge disk images down to a manageable size, but it takes forever on my dual-core system and still takes a long time on a quad-core that I had the pleasure of using once. Editing 1080-line HD video also smacks my computer around something fierce.

The ETA is 2011 as that's when I can afford to buy a new machine- I have to graduate first and earn a paycheck. I am starting to "get the itch" to build a new system since I have seen roadmaps that go out that far. :D I suppose I could get Xeons instead of Opterons, but my budget isn't ridiculously huge and lower-end Xeons usually are typically pretty crippled. The least-expensive and most-expensive Opteron in any given line generally only differ in clock speed. Just look at the current Nehalem-EP Xeons- the E5520 is the least-expensive one that has Turbo Mode, HyperThreading, can support more than crappy DDR3-800 RAM, and has the full 8 MB of L2 cache. The E5520s cost $380 each, while you can get two 2.4 GHz Shanghai Opterons for that price or one six-core Opteron 2427 for about $70 more than the E5520.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
I have the MCP655 Liang pump. It worked well, but with those oil coolers, the channels are round and you don't get as much surface area heat transfer from the coolant. It wasn't bad, but the flow was pretty decent once I yanked out a 2' piece of aluminum they had in there for some reason...laminar flow or something. (I am a system/network engineer, not a physics major). It actually did a decent job of cooling, but it really made a difference once I added the fans. I ran a box fan on high vs. passive and there was about 6C temp difference...so that was a big part of the problem. I still have that oil cooler in my garage, available if anyone wants it.