Both GPUS at 95C....9800GX2

Annisman

Distinguished
May 5, 2007
Well, normally I don't have GPU temperature problems. The stock solution for my GX2 has always been adequite. However, I was playing the leaked E3 Stalker demo and EVGA Precision was reporting both GPU temps in the 95-96 degree Celcius range. Fan at 100%. In comparison, when playing COD4 for 3+ hours, my GPU's never get above 80C. AND, I only played the Stalker Clear Sky demo for 15 mins!!!

I have intense case cooling so don't tell me to look at that: 2X 250mm fans (front and side)
2X 120mm fans (one in rear, one blowing on 9800GX2 directly from behind)
2X 65mm PCI Slot coolers (one right above vid card, one in slot below it)
2X My computer sounds like a jet engine. (No srsly, it does.)

Anyhow, I am hoping that it is just a flaw in this unpolished demo that possibly maxes out my GX2 and causes the temps to skyrocket. What do you think???

Lastly, please don't harass me about downloading and playing this leaked demo, I bought the origional Stalker and I will buy this one as well, no customers lost.

L1qu1d

Splendid
Sep 29, 2007
hmmmm, I couldn't tell you honestly. did you try dusting the GX2? Because even mine collected enough dust to spread on a couple of sandwiches. Also is your computer near any heat source? because its kinda pointless to have so many fans, and keep it in an area where its not getting air or collecting hot air:p

I'll try the Demo and tell you if mine reach the same I'll screen shot it.

Annisman

Distinguished
May 5, 2007
Dust is not really a problem for me, and I don't think all the fans are pointless, I enjoy knowing that inside my computer case is a massive wind tunnel of cooling. And the only heat source here is the summer sun, my room stays rather cool though. Try the demo and play for like 15 mins (assuming you don't crash lol) tell me your temps via EVGA precision. Thanks

Annisman

Distinguished
May 5, 2007
Yes, you're right about that. But I'm not too worried because the only electronics or heat producing things in my room are my computer and monitor.

So, does anybody else have any opinions on these high temps ?

hhahaahyea

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2008
lol@

and

annisman makes me laugh. and so does this guy eating dust sandwiches while cleaning out his case.

and so does this guy. can you do this with your 9800GX2?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDoOV0FFPvA
i wish i could. i actually could if i did it directly on my 4850 with the stock cooler/fanspeed. not gonna lie.

i would say that a leaked and unoptimized demo would be the cause of high temps. could that game even be maxing out your card though? what kind of fps do you get? but early builds of games are often really hard on the hardware because, liek you said, they're "unpolished"

L1qu1d

Splendid
Sep 29, 2007
Both my GPUs stay at 53 and the second at 56/7, after 15 mins:S. but I maxed out the game. Fraps can't be seen onscreen, but it runs perfectly smooth. Feels as smooth as the source engine:O wow!

Interesting game, and really nice water effects. THe animals are okay, but it has a half life 2 feeling for some reason.

EDIT: MAXED OUT EVERY MEANS FULL AA, FULL effects lol just incase ppl ask wat about shadows or AA. Grass shadow was turned on as well.

Annisman

Distinguished
May 5, 2007
@ Liquid. How do your GPUS stay that cool ? what resolution are you running? I am at 1920x1200.

@ hahayea. My Fps are between 15-60 usually hovering around 35. And, I'm glad I make people laugh with glee.

This is how I played: All in-game settings maxed out, except for Antialising, which seems to not actually enable it in game. So I enabled 4X AA thru Nvidia control panel.

L1qu1d

Splendid
Sep 29, 2007
k I tested the game at 1280x1024 before, and my frames were 60+, now I tested at 1920x1080, and the frames were 60+ again, but drop at weird places thaat weren't even detailed...example the pipes:S

The second time my GPUs were 60 and 63, fan on 100%