Sign in with
Your question

Terrible Performance for Oblivion... Help =(

Last response: in CPUs
September 12, 2008 8:44:45 AM

Does this problem sound familiar to you... -- In Oblivion I get 15-30 fps when around enemies or npc with everything max, 16x AF 16 xQ AA w/ hdr lighting - if i turn the aa and af down i still get the same performance, even worse so with vertical sync on

Current Specs - 9800 GTX stock, Am2 Athlon 4200x2 2.2 ghz stock, 2 gb ddr2 corsair ram @ 800 mhz, M2N4 SLI motherboard, Windows XP 32 Bit
September 12, 2008 8:48:48 AM

In COD 4 I have all settings on maxed, AF x 16 and AA 16 XQ at 1280x1024 running at synced 60 fps no droppage what so ever, they stay the same seamless. With this performance it doesn't seem like a hardware issue to me, I'm just really not sure what to do or why I get terrible performance. My video drivers are up to date.
September 12, 2008 9:10:28 AM

Try turning down shadows a bit, itll help. Your cpu is limiting it a lil bit, and slowdowns can occur, as oblivion is still considered a demanding game, even by todays standards. Go here http://www.tweakguides.com/ and see what tweaks for oblivion you can live with that will help you gaming experience
Related resources
September 12, 2008 9:36:31 AM

install the latest patch (or buy the shivering isles expansion).

as far as my rig is concerned im hitting a very smooth 60fps usually with my 9600gt with vysnc on thats on 14x9 btw.
a b à CPUs
September 12, 2008 11:19:47 AM

If you have no luck with changing the settings then I would upgrade the cpu to the 6000+ X2.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Not so long ago this processor was nearly double the price, thanks to newer releases you benefit. Sell your old processor and your out maybe 50 bucks and you get a very nice increase in performance to better match your video card setup and I am assuming you have a mobo that supports it.

What is your mobo model and brand?
September 12, 2008 12:05:25 PM

There is an issue with the footsteps of 4 legged animals causing huge performance drops for users of onboard or generally lower end sound devices. Download the silent feet plugin and see if that solves your problem.
a b à CPUs
September 12, 2008 7:19:45 PM

modtech said:
There is an issue with the footsteps of 4 legged animals causing huge performance drops for users of onboard or generally lower end sound devices. Download the silent feet plugin and see if that solves your problem.

Dumb that down for me please... :o 
September 13, 2008 5:51:49 PM

Cymus said:
In Oblivion I get 15-30 fps when around enemies or npc with everything max, 16x AF 16 xQ AA w/ hdr lighting - if i turn the aa and af down i still get the same performanceCurrent

Specs - 9800 GTX stock, Am2 Athlon 4200x2 2.2 ghz stock, 2 gb ddr2 corsair ram @ 800 mhz, M2N4 SLI motherboard, Windows XP 32 Bit

Yup, sounds very familiar. It's your CPU.
September 13, 2008 5:52:20 PM

JAYDEEJOHN said:
Try turning down shadows a bit, itll help. Your cpu is limiting it a lil bit, and slowdowns can occur, as oblivion is still considered a demanding game, even by todays standards. Go here http://www.tweakguides.com/ and see what tweaks for oblivion you can live with that will help you gaming experience

+1
June 23, 2009 10:38:47 PM

pauldh said:
Yup, sounds very familiar. It's your CPU.

I'm on a Core 2 Duo e4500 2.4 cpu, 8800 GTX graphics card, 3 gigs of ram, Windows XP. I can run just about any other game, and even Oblivion runs great NORMALLY. I can be running around in the woods, all settings turned VERY high, except for Vsync and AA, and get average fps of 50-60. But as soon as I pop into the IC Marketplace, my FPS drop to about 17-20 when I see ANY npcs. Is this the CPU? I was under the impression I had a good CPU.
!