Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Best SSD for under $150

Last response: in Storage
November 24, 2009 11:19:22 PM

Hello, I'm looking for a Solid State Drive, around 32 to 64GB, for use in my web server. The drive will contain my web sites and the operating system, either Windows Server 2008 R2 or Ubuntu. Large storage is handled by a separate RAID array, so capacity is not an issue. Rather, I am looking for the fastest, longest-lasting, and most reliable drive under $150 that is suitable to my application. Any thoughts?

More about : ssd 150

a b G Storage
November 24, 2009 11:46:19 PM

Kingston 40GB.
m
l
Related resources
a b G Storage
November 25, 2009 4:51:36 AM

The 40GB is quite a bit faster for everything but sequential writes - the 40GB uses an Intel controller, which is the best on the market, while the 64GB uses the vastly worse Jmicron controller.
m
l
November 25, 2009 5:55:52 AM

this drive suppose to be sub $100. damn, many retailer r milking this product.
m
l
November 25, 2009 6:06:50 AM

u should go read more review on this kingston 40GB drive before picking on random SSD because this drive is HNL.
m
l

Best solution

a b G Storage
November 25, 2009 6:20:45 AM

The kingston is better.

The best choice out there right now is a drive with the Intel controller, like the Kingston 40GB or 80Gb or the Intel 80GB. Next best is an Indilinx based drive. Avoid those with the Jmicron controller.

Don't worry too much about brand. Two drives with the same capacity and controller are effectively identical, even if the sticker on one says Corsair and on the other said Kingston. Don't worry about the quoted read and write speeds either - they don't matter as much as random read and write speeds for how fast a drive will be in actual applications. The Intel is unmatched in randoms right now, which is why I would recommend it above pretty much anything else.
November 25, 2009 6:23:26 AM

alrighty sounds good, i think i will plan to stick with the Kinston, but first I hope the prices fall to around $80 where they should be lol. Amazon says that there's won't ship for another 1-2 months, so it looks like the retailers with it in stock are hoarding them,.
m
l
December 2, 2009 1:36:32 AM

The Kingston drive is not the same as an Intel. The controller only serves 1/2 the memory channels and is thus slower. There is a reason why the Kingston is MSRP'd @ around $100.
m
l
a b G Storage
December 2, 2009 2:42:17 AM

Newf said:
The Kingston drive is not the same as an Intel. The controller only serves 1/2 the memory channels and is thus slower. There is a reason why the Kingston is MSRP'd @ around $100.

True. It's still faster than Indilinx and especially Jmicron drives in randoms though, which is a large part of what contributes to the "snappiness" of the drive.
m
l
December 2, 2009 11:00:24 PM

Newegg did have the Kingston SSD Now SNV125-S2 40gb drives for $85 but it looks like they sold out. Hopefully we'll see some decent SSD drives with reasonable capacity drop and stay under the $100 mark soon.
m
l
!