Using list to display files

I am a new XP user. When I look at the files in a folder, how do I force
the files to be shown as a list and not as icons?

Open Explorer and set the view to list view
Now click Tools--Folder Options
Change to the View tab
In the Advanced Settings list scroll down and find "Remeber each Folder's
view settings"
Uncheck it
Now Click Apply to all Folders at the top of the dialog box.

All folders will display in list view.

--
Regards
Mark Dormer