Sign in with
Your question

AM2 socket vs AM2+

Last response: in CPUs
September 12, 2008 2:24:40 PM

Hi!

Would be happy to find some information about AM2+ socket, as I have noticed is that is hard to find out if
AM2 and AM2+ is the same in socket build - meaning does AM2+ use the same cpucoolers as the AM2.
Do they fit and gets mounted the same way?

thanks!

More about : am2 socket am2

September 12, 2008 2:35:27 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Socket_AM2%2B - Don't see what's so hard about that (other than the weird character, but a simple google of "am2+" yields the same first link. They are the exact identical size and shape as AM2.
September 12, 2008 2:38:35 PM

oscarmax said:
Hi!

Would be happy to find some information about AM2+ socket, as I have noticed is that is hard to find out if
AM2 and AM2+ is the same in socket build - meaning does AM2+ use the same cpucoolers as the AM2.
Do they fit and gets mounted the same way?

thanks!

yes,,and am2 sockets support am2+ cpu's,but at a reduced HT speed....:) 
Related resources
September 12, 2008 2:40:24 PM

AM2 and AM2+ are phyically compatible IIRC. AM2+ is redesigned electrically for quad(I think) and has a faster connection.

AM2 CPUs / coolers etc work fine in AM2+
September 12, 2008 2:40:52 PM

But the question still remains - and I have seen that wiki before and it tells me nothing about the cpucooler question I have.
Does cpucoolers for the AM2 fit the AM2+ socket? I rather be sure about this so if I buy a AM2 cooler it will fit the AM2+ socket.
September 12, 2008 2:42:27 PM

kyzarvs said:
AM2 and AM2+ are phyically compatible IIRC. AM2+ is redesigned electrically for quad(I think) and has a faster connection.

AM2 CPUs / coolers etc work fine in AM2+

Thank you kyzarvs! this is the information I was after!

September 12, 2008 6:58:18 PM

oscarmax said:
But the question still remains - and I have seen that wiki before and it tells me nothing about the cpucooler question I have.
Does cpucoolers for the AM2 fit the AM2+ socket? I rather be sure about this so if I buy a AM2 cooler it will fit the AM2+ socket.

Although the CPU's are compatible between AM2/AM2+, the additional character rendered all coolers incompatible. Fortunately, AMD engineers found a workaround, if you simply draw a '+' on your cooler with a sharpie, it will now fit the new AM2+ socket.
October 19, 2008 11:00:16 PM

so will AMD Phenom 9850 BLACK EDITION 2.5GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 2MB L3 Cache Socket AM2+ 125W Quad-Core Processor - Retail work just as good in my existing MSI K9A Platinum board? currently i have a amd 6000+ dual core 64 bit running and am looking to upgrade.
December 26, 2008 7:37:21 PM

I ama lso wondering about this. Will a quad 2.3 core also run at 9.2 ghs on an am2 and not just an am2+ or will the am2 only recognize some of the cores? And according to wikipedia if you put an am2+ cpu on an am2 mobo it wont have hyper transport 2.0 support, what does that mean?
December 26, 2008 8:11:17 PM

jmqrsq said:
so will AMD Phenom 9850 BLACK EDITION 2.5GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 2MB L3 Cache Socket AM2+ 125W Quad-Core Processor - Retail work just as good in my existing MSI K9A Platinum board? currently i have a amd 6000+ dual core 64 bit running and am looking to upgrade.

Unfortunately no. On a hardware level it should be possible but MSI has not released a BIOS update to enable the use of the newer processors with you motherboard.

http://global.msi.com.tw/index.php?func=prodcpusupport&prod_no=259&maincat_no=1

I have noticed that many of the motherboard manufacturers have stopped releasing BIOS updates for motherboards with the SB600 southbridge.
December 26, 2008 8:45:09 PM

I'd personally wait for the 45nm Phenom's becuase they are better than the first Phenom's and you can get the Phenom I for cheaper once they are out.
December 26, 2008 9:22:13 PM

B-Unit said:
Although the CPU's are compatible between AM2/AM2+, the additional character rendered all coolers incompatible. Fortunately, AMD engineers found a workaround, if you simply draw a '+' on your cooler with a sharpie, it will now fit the new AM2+ socket.

WOW, Thank you! I've been waiting for someone to tell me how I can fit the cooler on my AM2+ Socket. Before the AM2 would....just kind of fit...After I put the "+" on the side, now it really fits. Thanks again!
!