Does newegg include tax with their products?

moomoopro

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2008
like if i;m adding items to my shopping cart and the grand total comes out to 1550 with shipping included....does that include tax??

or will i have to pay $1650 instead?

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005
Newegg.com charges the appropriate state and/or local sales tax for any order shipping to California, New Jersey, New York, and Tennessee. Sales tax for cell phone orders shipping to California and Tennessee are calculated before any instant savings are applied.
*Tennessee, New Jersey and New York residents are charged according to their state and/or local tax rate. Please note that the sales tax for New Jersey, New York and Tennessee orders is calculated based upon the total price of the order, including shipping and handling. The tax imposed by these states on shipping and handling is part of the state sales tax, not a separate tax.
*California residents in Los Angeles county are charged 8.25% sales tax *California residents outside Los Angeles county are charged 7.25% sales tax California orders outside of Los Angeles county are not charged for district tax because we do not have a physical presence outside Los Angeles district / county**:. The breakdown of Los Angeles county tax charges is as follows: *Sales Tax: 6.00% *County Tax: 0.25% *Combined State and Local Tax: 1.00% *District Tax (L.A. County only): 1.00%
**We cannot make any changes to the tax rate. Please refer to www.boe.ca.gov on Transactions and Use Tax Regulations, regulation 1821 sec (2) and regulation 1823 (b) Use Tax sec (1). District Taxes (sales and use taxes) pamphlet publication 44, Jan 2007.

Before New Jersey and the Feds closed the internet tax loop hole, being that I live in New Jersey, newegg was the shiznit when it came to ordering parts.

But even now with having to pay sales tax, it's still cheaper to order from newegg than most other sites and especially cheaper than retail.

jwl3

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2008
Wait a second. I thought NY was the only dips hit state that started charging tax on internet stores that didn't have a physical presence in the state. NJ did the same?

By the way, that legislation is on very shaky legal ground and Amazon.com and other retailers are already suing to have it removed. Thank you very much tax and spend democrats. (this means you, Spitzer you womanizing scumbucket)

ausch30

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007

New York is the only state where Newegg doesn't have a presence that is being charges sales tax, their warehouses are located in California, Tennessee and New Jersey. What's funny about the whole thing is the law was stated as if your site has links to or is linked from a site owned by a business with a physical presence in the state then you by extension have a presence in the state. Newegg doesn't link to other businesses like Amazon and some others do so they don't have to charge sales tax. I looked around after this whole thing started and most other sites including Zipzoomfly and Tiger Direct still aren't charging NY sales tax so I've started buying elsewhere.

ausch30

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007

It depends on where you live. I live in Buffalo, NY and the Erie county sales tax is 8.5% which on a expensive product makes a huge difference in price so most other sites are cheaper.

JohnnyReynolds

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2009
Amazon.com charges the appropriate state and/or local sales tax for any order shipping to California, New Jersey, New York, and Tennessee. Sales tax for cell phone orders shipping to California and Tennessee are calculated before any instant savings are applied.
I used to purchase all products from Amazon.com However I heard about AmazingWatcher.Com which is a free website that will “watch” items for you on Amazon and let you know when amazon has them in stock at regular retail price.