New build, feedback appreciated!

abc23023

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2007
Hello everyone,

I'm building an new computer, and I was wondering how my components stack up.

CPU- Intel Q6600
Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-G31M-S2L
Memory- OCZ Reaper HPC edition 4 gigs, CAS-4
250 GB SATA HD
8600GT graphics card
OCZ 500W power supply
Arctic Silver Freezer 7 Pro cooling
Thermaltake case Wing rs-1000 i think.

So, how does it stack up? Also, a second question i have is; can i use this ram (2.1 volts) in the Gigabyte board?

blackhawk1928

Distinguished
For your rig 4 gigs of ram is ridicoulus cause your graphics card is weak and with that small 500watt psu, you wont be able to run a nice highend graphics card. Processor is nice however. I would get 700-800watt psu and get a nice card like a 9800gtx in SLI or something of your choice like that and it would make your rig much better and put that 4gigs of RAM to better use

jthorn

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
Seems like you spec'd a reasonable starter system to me as long as you were not planning sli or crossfire. Good value and upgradeable/overclockable. Plays most games now on min settings but allows you to upgrade later (new GPU). If you were going to crossfire later then you would need a bigger PS.

rasco_matt

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2008
You didn't state how much you had to spend......it would seem that you are on a budget..

You graphics card is a little weak....well actually it's crap.....! a 8800 or 37XX graphics card is the base starting point nowadays. if you choose one of these card then your power supply should still be ok.

Don't think that you need the latest chipset motherboards with the latest graphics cards to get good FPS in games..... the sames goes for SLI and Crossfire.
If your on a budget your listed system with a better graphics card will get very good frame rates. But you may need to consider what size monitor you will be using. If you have a large monitor then you WILL need a graphics card that is in the mid-top end price range.

You could do better with the motherboard, but it all comes down to what your budget is.

infinitywraith

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2008
I'd recommend a 8800 or 9800GT just because the performance is nearly 175% of what you currently have there. The 4gb ram is a bit ridiculous. The processor is very respectable, although i'd recommend you get some good cooling and overclock it as much as possible.

abc23023

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2007
Thank you for the input everybody! I appreciate it ALOT! and my budget was around 500 for the components minus power supply and case.

I wasn't planning on running an SLI system, but i will look into a better GPU.