Need some advice for my new build.

coleipoo

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=5388354&WishListTitle=build

A couple of things to note:

- I have an X-FI Platinium that I will be putting in it, which will take one PCI slot and one optical slot for the external sound bay.

- I plan on buying another 4870 in the future to do CF, so the case has to be big enough.

- I plan on running 64 bit Vista, so 4 GB RAM would be ideal.

- I went with that mobo and PSU for the crossfire capabilities.

With those points said, I need some advice.

1. I have no idea what kind/brand of RAM to get. I don't want my RAM to be a gimping factor for my new system. I hear DDR2 800 is as stable as it can get. I'm looking for 4GB, so what would be the best bet from a pure performance/price ratio?

2. My case. I love the looks of Lian Li, but I love the cooling of the 900. And I need a case that can fit 2 4870's, my sound card, 2 hard drives. My big concern is the length of new cards, and cooling. I would like some options for the best cooling without having to go for a water system. I kinda want a lighter case too, as I have to haul it back and forth from college to home 6 times a year.

3. Cooling: I think I am going for that cooler for my CPU. Are there any coolers I should get for the GPU's? Or should I just leave that to my case?

4. From what I understand, the 8400 is the option for gamers. I play a LOT of PC games, with the occasional music and photoshop. So am I right in that a 8400 would benefit me more than a q6600?

5. This is my first system I am going to totally build from the ground up, so I want to make it right. Right now I have a Pentium D 830 with a 7900GT and 2GB, so I expect I should see a slight upgrade, no?

Anyways, thanks for the help, I have never seen such a helpful site for PC builders anywhere on the net!

akhilles

Splendid
A solid gaming build with no compromise. The psu is enough for crossfiring the HD4870s & overclocking the cpu & gpu's. However, I would so downgrade the case and use the savings to get an X38 for maximum Crossfire at X16.

1. Your selection is right for the build.

2. See my comment above.

3. Use the stock coola unless you overclock.

4. Yes cuz it's at 3Ghz VS 2.4Ghz at stock. You haven't seen it in action. Especially how long it takes to unrar a 700MB file. I'm not even running RAID 0 or Raptors. Once you see it, you're sold. Quad is great for multitasking & multimedia encoding.

5. Not for a while.

coleipoo

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
Thanks for the response akhilles.

I plan on OCing the 8400 to 3.6, and maybe more when I get comfortable, so I am getting a CPU cooler for sure. I'll probably OC the cards a bit, so maybe I will pick up a cheap cooler for that.

hyperjoe

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
coleipoo,

Great build. I would get the retention bracket that goes with the Xigmatek cooler. It makes fastening the cooler onto the Mobo much easier and more secure.

Good luck!

coleipoo

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
Thanks a bunch, I added that bracket; should make my system more stable.

I am going to get an Antec 1200. It will give me the space and cooling I need. I just might snip the disco lights.

How are the stock fans in the 1200? They do a good enough job?

coleipoo

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
Another quick question: ASUS or Sapphire for the GPU? Will I get better results with ASUS cards because I am using an ASUS board? Or is that silly talk?

akhilles

Splendid
The stock fans in 1200 are fine.

Sapphire has been making ATI cards for ages. They know their stuff. I've always bought their ATI cards. I know ATI used to make theirs for premiums. ASUS cards are not bad. FWIW, the one in my pc is Sapphire. Never had a problem with the brand.