my pc suddenly shuts down

bjaylopez

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2008
hi i have a pentium III pc,
this is the situation, when i curently working on my pc, it suddenly shuts down, so i have to unplug it then return so it will boot again, but after 1 to 2 min, it happens again ive tried to reformat it but it happens in the middle of reformatting, ive treid to use the HD to other pc's good news it works, my question is, is there a problem with my motherboard, or my power source?

motherboad, ecs p4m-800 intel celeron processor, samsung 160 gb hd

I would do a thorough cleaning if it's been awhile. One of the fans on the cpu heatsink or power supply may be gummed up by dust and crud. I use "perfect duster" a canned air product available at Fry's electronics. You really can't clean the power supply fan any other way. It's dangerous to get any ps components wet with any kind of moisture. After cleaning the heatsink and cpu with alcohol or acetone, I use one drop of thermal paste in the middle of the cpu core, and spread it with a single edge razor blade. If your system still won't run, I would get a new power supply. For your needs, a 300-400 watt should be adequate. Fortron fsp and antec are pretty good for the money.