Distinguished
Jul 18, 2008
ok guys this is my setup

Gigabyte 790x ud4p
PII 955
ocz 2x2gb 1066 DRR2
zalman 9700 led
cooler master scout

I been trying to oc my pc, im not that noob as i know a thing or two about it, after all i had my old amd 5000+ be oc to 3.3, but thats another story..

any ways i need some imput as all the 955 overviews are been overclocked with DDR3 and i cant find any info on any configuration using DDR2 so any help will be apriciated..

belial2k

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2009
It really doesn't matter much, it will be the same process. The specific bios you use will change more than the difference between DDR2 and DDR3.

belial2k

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2009
Timings are memory and build specific, you cannot just look at someone else's OC and duplicate it. The PROCESS is the same, but what works for you will be different. You need to start at the rated speed and timings of YOUR memory, and then try to improve on that.

Well if you overclocked your 5000BE to 3.3Ghz you should know how to overclock your 955BE... same process, nothing has changed....

I doubt that you did the overclock yourself unless you have instant-memory loss... But that's another story....

Anyways raise the multiplier, FSB and voltage in increments till you find you sweet spot...

I suggest you read this first before you smoke that precious 955...

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/phenom-overclock-athlon,2161.html

snakej

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2008
lol i wasnt copying what i saw, i was simply using reference to see till where can i go and what voltage i have to use to get there, make is it faster, im stable at 3.725

18.5 x 200 with a volt increase of +0.75

thing is that the more volt i give the hotter it gets oviously, and my temps with that little volt increase is 50 idle 64 under load via air conditioner on, as summer here in New York can get pretty hot, my worry is if i leave my pc on and turn off that AC lol, temps may get to incredible 70C

i think that my HSF is the bottleneck here because i've done research with a volt increase of 1.5 and temps shouldnt be all that high

Well then all you have to do is run prime95 while you monitor your temps... If your temps don't reach 60-62c then you should be able to leave your pc on at night w/o hesitation.....

http://files.extremeoverclocking.com/file.php?f=103

run it for at least an hour and monitor your core temps...

=========================================================================================

Try giving it less voltage and raise in increments.......

PS: If your AC is on and you are getting almost 70c, then its obvious that the ambient temp is not to blame... Whats your voltage right now?

snakej

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2008
i been running amd overdrive stability test for 22mins and everything seems fine my voltage is currently 1.424

and my teps are 49c idle and 65 - 66 underload via AC

The only other thing that comes to my mind is removing the HSF and re-pasting with AS-5... If you have done that already then im lost....

I have overclocked my CPU to 3.912Ghz @ 1.475v and my temps never reached 54c no matter what I did to it.... And on top of that my room temp was at 78F... so in all the only thing I can suggest ATM is re-pasting making sure you don't use too much and re-seating the HSF..

snakej

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2008
ya, ill try that, also to give you an idea as to why i think the HSF is the problem, here:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum2.php?config=tomshardwareus.inc&cat=31&post=268361&page=1&p=1&sondage=0&owntopic=1&trash=0&trash_post=0&print=0&numreponse=0&quote_only=0&new=0&nojs=0
I posted that a while ago,if you read the old post till the end i didnt get to change the fan of HS so it still using the stock, i still think that HSF which is 1 year old might have a bearing problem and isnt doing its job properly

If you want to check the RPM's on that fan all you have to do is download speedfan...... Then once the program is open you will see the temps and RPM's, if you crank up the cpu fan and you see that it does not reach around 2,500-2,800 RPM's then you know its time to replace the fan or the whole HSF.....

snakej

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2008
wow thanks so much for the idea, i did use speed fan as i run the stability test the temps went up to 60-61 my fan did raise up to 2509, that was the high as it went and then suddenly dropped to 1461 for like 10 secs, the went back to 2500 and after like 20 secs dropped to 1456 again, guess i have to change it then?

K1ash3r

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
I got the same cpu and motherboard and I was able to overlock my 955 to 3.7 on multi alone. my temps at somewhere around 40C with prime95 running and im using xigmatek dark knight

snakej

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2008
ok fan speed isnt droping from 2,509 Rpm according to speed fan, as i set it manually to 100% using AMD overdrive and im getting the fallowing readings in smart fan:

Fan1: 2509 RPM

Fan2: 0 RPM

Fan3: 0 RPM

Fan4: 0 RPM

Fan5: 0 RPM
===============================
temperature according to AMD overdrive:

49 idle 69 under load on amd overdrive stability test

temperature according smart fan:

Under load:

Temp1: 40C
temp2: 60C
temp3: 57C
temp4: 60C

Idle:

1: 38C
2: 48C
3: 43C
4: 47C

Notice that the test was done using 100% fan 1509RPM
temps nearly change to what it was before running the fan at 100%
basically it was worst cuz my temps last night never went past 66C

Yea, so it looks like raising the fan speed helped a lil, but your temps are still too high @ idle......

What is your normal ambient temp with your AC on?

And how much paste did you use when you installed the HSF? Normally if you use too much it will cause heat issues...

snakej

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2008
ambient temps im not sure, i know its 75C outside so with my AC on it should be around the 50"s and 60's, more like the 60's

i didnt use lots of paste because the paste that comes with the zalman has a brush to spread evenly, plus i did it in the same way i did with my old amd 5000 be

Yea, ATM i would not know what the problem is unless I was physically there to look at the PC.... By the info that you posted its clear that the ambient temp has nothing to do with it....

You Zalman 9700 is not considered a cheap heat-sink, so that should not be the issue either...

Are your case fans @ 100% all the time or do you have a controller?

snakej

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2008
no i do not have a fan controler to speed the fans up, i know they not even close to be running at a 100% as i cant even hear it over my zalman or my gpu fan.

i understand that the zalman isnt cheap,which is why i havent buy a new cooler, but its 1 year old and it might have a ball bearing problem as stated in past forum post, i still need to fnish my build, stuff like hard drive and couple of more fans, now ill be adding a fan cotroler, although i dont know when im buying, as my budget is 0. so my next idea is to stick the stock cooler and see what diference does that make, i haven't done that because i run out of paste so if temps arent better i wont b able to put the zalman back

Well you can get some paste off of e-bay for 2.99$... I would suggest that you keep monitoring you CPU temp until you do changes to your setup...Once you re-paste and re-seat the HSF, try taking pictures of the whole process and post them here just to make sure everything you are doing is by the book....

snakej

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2008
ok now i confirm that my HSF is dead, throw the stock HSF and is doing the 2,966 rpm as the slowest speed whereas the zalman did 2500 as max lol, open cpu fan and cranked the fan at 100% and its doing 3789 rpms, I'm stable at 3.6 with no volt increase, taking in count this is the stock cooler 3.6 isnt not bad at all
o ya my temps are now
44 idle
53-54 under load
we need to give some more credit to stock coolers, ill be getting the dark knight but not anytime soon, maybe in couple of weeks when i finish paying my new cell phone.

The stock coolers are ok, well at least the ones that come with the phenoms but once you go past 3.6 - 3.7Ghz with a 955 it is highly recommended you get an aftermarket......You will end up buying the cooler anyways cause that 955 can go soo much higher... the more you do it the more addicting it gets....

snakej

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2008
lol yeah is really addicting,im back to stock timing as i had 1 error in 1 of the core after 35mins running prime 95, im tired of tweaking and ill wait till i get new cooler to over clock this baby to at least 3.8 or 3.7, it just that i have got one of those cpus that aren't happy without cranking the volts up, even to get to 3.6 i need +0.25 increase and proly thats why i got an error, it needed more, but im not willing to do it with the stock cooler, 3.2 will be enough for now..oh btw thanks alot ovrclkr helped me alot, I appreciate that, you have got yourself a new friend here in New York, thanks m8..