Sign in with
Your question

Issues with WD15EADS or something else?

Last response: in Storage
November 26, 2009 9:07:05 AM

Hi All,

My server at home has a Dell PERC 6/i (rebadged LSI MegaRAID SAS 8708ELP as I understand) with battery backup, off which I have 8 x Western Digital Green 1.5TB WD15EADS drives with TLER enabled and several RAID 6 volumes. These drives are mounted in 2 Scythe 4x Hard Drive Stabilisers each with a 120mm fan mounted at the front of each to exhaust hot air.

Of these 8 Western Digital Green 1.5TB WD15EADS the oldest of which I only purchased in May, I have so far had 2 replaced with another currently in the process of being replaced, and tonight I have had my 4th drive failure. I am currently trying to rebuild the data on the disk that failed tonight (which already has 2 predictive failure counts against it) and although I realise these drives are not designed with RAID in mind I'm really quite surprised with the rate of failure I'm experiencing and am wondering if it is possible that something else in the system is causing the failures.

I am using a Vantec ION2 520w PSU which has 2 x 12v rails claiming 20A per rail. According to Western digital the WD15EADS uses a maximum of 6 Watts during read/write operations, which at 12v is under 0.5A by my calculations. That means all 8 drives should only consume no more than 4A, and as the only other devices on the 12V rails is a DVD-ROM and a fan controller I'd have thought there would be a lot of room to spare here. Power should be pretty clean as I am using an APC 750VA SmartUPS which has AVR to trim or boost voltage as required.

Just wondering what people thought here? Is the failure rate of these drives just that bad, or have I possibly missed something else in the equation?

More about : issues wd15eads

a b G Storage
December 2, 2009 6:12:13 AM

It's also possible your PSU is faulty, or the disk controller of your mobo/RAID controller.
December 11, 2009 1:04:49 AM

I bought a WD15EADS two months ago, and it failed after 1 month. Many times I have to wait 10-20 seconds to change folders. Fails on reading and writing data on disk too. Freezes my computer for 30 seconds - 1 minute when I access the disk. Sometimes it works ok but not for long. After 5-10 minutes of functioning ok, it starts behaving strange again. Tried it on two computers, acts the same on both
Related resources
December 11, 2009 10:16:28 AM

marmot said:
I bought a WD15EADS two months ago, and it failed after 1 month. Many times I have to wait 10-20 seconds to change folders. Fails on reading and writing data on disk too. Freezes my computer for 30 seconds - 1 minute when I access the disk. Sometimes it works ok but not for long. After 5-10 minutes of functioning ok, it starts behaving strange again. Tried it on two computers, acts the same on both

Same problem with my WD15EADS: the disk works fine for a while, then doesn't respond to operating system for 30 seconds, 1, 2 minutes... Tried with Windows 7 and Linux, it's the same.
February 2, 2010 2:11:44 AM

So....did anyone actually solve this WD15EADS problem?
I have the exactly problem and it's getting worse....
The freezes are happening more frequently than before...
Anonymous
a b G Storage
February 24, 2010 3:33:24 PM

This is WD problem with controller on drive 00P8B0 with firmware A01. Actual in other country in world. But WD answered nothing!!! Service WD know this problem and replace a hard drive. sorry for my english =)
!