Worth upgrading my pentium-D?

mimregi

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2006
I have a pentium D 820 in my Dell. I cannot get a 100% crystal clear answer from Dell about what processors the Bios will support (I have been made to understand that just because the 945 chipset supports a certain processor, it does not necessarily mean my mobo will... this was the first and last time I buy a pre-configured system).

Anyway, does anyone have an opinion on what kind of performance increase I might see from dropping a pentium D 9xx in there? Will the smaller chip and the extra cache make much of a difference, let alone a bit extra core speed?

The system currently has a 4870xt and 4gb of ram in there (running at only 533). I know that's heavily lopsided, but x2 was a (sweet-ass) gift and the memory was too cheap to just get 1 gig (I already had 2 installed). I know that it is simply way too much video card for the mobo/CPU, but I'm not ready to build a whole new system around it just yet. I have seen the higher pentium D's for around $100, and if it will make a notable difference, I am willing to do that.

Thanks in advance for any advice =)

br3nd064

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
I don't think it's worth it to buy another Pentium D. If your motherboard supports it, look into either the 65 or 45nm Core 2 Duos. They offer a large increase in speed and run cooler.

mimregi

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2006
I need to really dig into the bios thing on my mobo -- see if I can support a better processor. Going to try to hit up the Dell boards, but it's hit and miss over there...