Matshita dvd-ram uj-850s

tapndog1

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2009

The laptop is used and had Linux installed on it. I did a complete fdisk and installed Windows XP. The previous owner told me the drive only recognized CDROM and not DVD. He was right. When I have tried to install the firmware from Toshiba's site, it doesn't install. The drive is recognized in the Device Manager, and in My Computer. Device Manager says it is working properly, but when I put a DVD in it, nothing happens. I have tried updating the ASPI from several different sites but that is not working either. I have put another DVD player in it but it won't Windows won't pick it up. The drive does not show up in the BIOS and I also have two USB ports that don't want to cooperate also. I have flashed the BIOS with the latest I could find for the motherboard and still no luck. I am beginning to wonder if the motherboard may be having some problem. I have a new motherboard on my Christmas Wish List, maybe that will help. I have researched the Matshita drive extensively and have only determined that it was a POS from the start. I you have any suggestions they are more than welcome. Remember, the only stupid question is the one that does not get asked. Thanks.