New build idling at ~30% CPU usage

ThrottleAbuse

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
So I just replaced a bunch of components inside my computer. I got a new MB and processor. I was running a E6600 and a MSI P6N SLI and am now running a Q6600 and ASUS P5Q PRO. I also have a EVGA 8600GTS, 2 x 2gb OCS Reaper HPC, Seagate 320 Gb 7200 rpm HDD, Corsair HX520, 2x LiteOn LH-20A1L all on WinXP. When I replaced the parts I didnt want to erase my entire HDD so I just started it up and it grinded away for a bit then I added in the new Drivers that came with the MB. Now the comp will never drop down to a low CPU Usage %. As you can tell I am new to this stuff as this was my first build last year then I just upgraded parts now. What should I do? Is there a way to reinstall WinXP and not erase my entire HDD. I have alot of family pics, movies, you name it that I dont want to lose. So can you guys help? Or should I be posting this in another part of the forum?

fowang

Distinguished
May 30, 2006
if ur going to use new hardware on an old config ie your using a harddrive with xp already installed from another machine, you are far better reinstalling and starting again, burn all the stuff u want to keep and then boot from cd and format that beatch

JuiceJones

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2006
When you switch motherboards, especially chipsets, the previous Windows installation typically doesn't like it too much, even after uninstalling old drivers and replacing with the new.

Hard drives are so cheap these days, I'd say your best bet is to just install Windows on a new, faster hdd, and leave the old one in for data and swap data around as you see fit. The other option being backup to an external hdd or burn to DVDs, and reinstall on the current drive.

Yes, it sucks reinstalling programs, reconfiguring all your custom settings, etc. But in the long run your computer will run much smoother because of it.

sarwar_r87

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2008
last time i changed my MB, i just backed up my C drive only and the formated C to instal wil windows. worked fine.......thats y its always better not to save stuffs in C drive....incase u need to do a clean installation.....

ThrottleAbuse

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
So to throw another idea out there. I have my HDD split into partitions. Its a 320 Gb in 3 partitions. I have XP on the C partition. Could I copy all the good files, pics, etc over to one of the other partitions then reformat the C partition and reinstall and get the same results.

JuiceJones

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2006

Yes. It will work exactly as you described.

ThrottleAbuse

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
Thanks for all the help fella's. I went for it last night and zapped the C partition and started over. Put all the important stuff on one of the other partitions and backed it up onto cd's and DVD's. Goes pretty fast with 2 burners. I had just added the second burner.

This baby is running like a champ now. Very impressive. Chews up anything I have thrown at it. Cant wait to start encoding some HD video and stuff.