Question on P45 Motherboards

Stig783

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2008
Hi, im about to build a whole new gaming system and my eyes were drawm to the Asus models of the P45 chipset motherboards. After doing a little research I found that alot of people were having issues, such as boot problems and memory incompatibility.

I was wondering if there is any kind of stable p45 motherboard out there. It seemed every Asus model i looked at, seemed to have problems with BIOS or memory.

Id appreciate any advice.

Thanks

qwertycopter

Distinguished
May 30, 2006
I've been running a P5Q-E for about 2 months now and there's been 2 new BIOS revisions since I bought it. I've not had any memory issues, but I bought memory which was on the qualified vendors list. However, I did recently run into a problem. The P5Q-E has only a single PS/2 port which can run either a PS/2 mouse or keyboard. The other day it didn't recognize my PS2 keyboard on boot. I tried another PS/2 keyboard, still nothing. I tried a PS/2 mouse and it works. I bought a USB keyboard and it works. Now my problem is that the USB keyboard doesn't seem to be active until after Windows loads, so I can't use it to get into the BIOS. Great, I have no way of getting into the BIOS. I'm going to flash the BIOS through ASUS update and cross my fingers. Until this issue, my mobo has worked great.

Your probability of having memory compatibility issues will asymptotically approach zilch if you get RAM that will run at its advertised timings on the JEDEC standard 1.8V.
Also, check the QVL for the mobo you are considering, although I believe the former is far more important, as mobo vendors don't test with all available RAM.

MaDMagik

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2008
I`ve just bought a complete new system about a week ago, must admit that before I did all the reviews and comments of possible incompatibility etc were slowly doing my head up. Decided not to worry and purchased what i felt like buying and within my budget - ended up with P5Q PRO with e5200 and apparently "asus incompatible ;)" Corsair XMS2 6400 2x1gb. Worked straight out of the box, no problems whatsoever. Now runnin that e5200 @ 3.45ghz with only slightly increased core voltage, stable as a rock regardless of what i throw at it. BUT as qwertycopter mentioned above, mine also have some sort of a problem with ps/2 ports, keyboard sometimes acted funny so i swapped it for usb - and never thought about it since. Dont know why USB keyboard wouldnt work in bios as mine does. So apart from that little thing - top board I say...

Stig783

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2008
Ok thanks for the reply fellas.

This is what im looking at:-

Intel Quad 9550 2.83GHz
Asus P5Q E P45 Mobo
Corsair 4GB Kit (800MHz DDR2) memory
2x Samsung 500GB HDDs
ATI Radeon 3850 PRO 512mb
Corsair 620 Watt PSU
DVD RW Drive
Antec 300 Gaming Case
Windows Vista Ultimate x64

I checked the QVL list for the corsair memory and it appears to be on there, so hopefully all will be well ;).

Thanks again

qwertycopter

Distinguished
May 30, 2006

Hrm... seems to be a trend then. What BIOS revision are you on?