Sign in with
Your question

Free PSU Calculator instead of asking us all the time!

Last response: in Components
September 13, 2008 7:09:53 AM

This really is getting kinda insane at the amount of "what size power supply do i need" questions... almost as many as the "check my build before i buy" ones in that section... goin :pt1cable:  here!

there's a simple, free calculator available here thanks to thermaltake: http://www.thermaltake.outervision.com/

some might suggest this calculator here: http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculator.jsp
which is where thermaltake got it's one, lol... problem is the second URL costs money to calculate things that the one on thermaltakes website can, for free! such as multiple graphics cards, and i believe (correct me if i'm wrong) a bunch of extra components such as pci cards, TEC coolers, different fans etc.

btw, this is the last time i am answering a "what wattage powersupply do i need" question. EVER! :sol: 

so i hope this is :hello:  to a bunch of questions on this forum! :) 

More about : free psu calculator time

September 13, 2008 1:23:40 PM

this thread may encourage people to buy crappy, vastly overrated PSU's, because they "have enough watts" so I still say you should READ the FAQ
September 13, 2008 2:14:15 PM

hmmm, im not sure about thermaltakes,i have a hd4850, and a overclocked e6300, 2 HDDs, firewire sound card drawing power, and it recommend me 290w PSU.

i currently have a GOOD 400w PSU, and it is in PAIN, really, the 120mm Fan is at 100%. and the rails are all under performing slightly.

Related resources
September 13, 2008 2:38:18 PM

I always used the second link and purchase a psu which is 50w-100w more than stated by the calculator
a c 83 ) Power supply
September 13, 2008 3:18:47 PM

It overestimates quite a bit on my system. At least 100 watts too much. On top of that I am measuring from the wall so its off by more.

At least you will never under buy with it.

I get 2 times what I need to hit the max efficiency anyway :)  Most PSU's(non passive ones) operate at there max efficiency at 50-60% load.
September 13, 2008 4:28:01 PM

I normally just hit a big PSU, it doesn't hurt since you only pay for the electricity you actually use, not what's being drawn. Gives more headroom for upgrading :) 
September 13, 2008 6:08:07 PM

i hate when ppl tell u that u need a psu with ???watts when u really need half that.
im running my entire system on a 500w when ppl telling me it couldnt be done
=].
a b ) Power supply
September 13, 2008 6:21:07 PM

*pats invisiks Seasonic built EW 500* but would you recommend that power supply to someone building a rig like yours?
September 13, 2008 7:54:30 PM

nukemaster said:
It overestimates quite a bit on my system. At least 100 watts too much. On top of that I am measuring from the wall so its off by more.

At least you will never under buy with it.

I get 2 times what I need to hit the max efficiency anyway :)  Most PSU's(non passive ones) operate at there max efficiency at 50-60% load.

this calculates wear and tear too...not everyone uses solid capacitors
set it around 10%, its one of the last things
September 13, 2008 8:12:46 PM

That Thermaltake calculator is pretty darn good tbh, just did my system and it came +20W of what I worked out before the build!

+1 to V3NOM for the links, it's deserved a bookmark in my nrop infested book.

Although 'The' power supply sticky has a link to an identical PSU calculator (just shows I haven't read it until now :pfff:  ):

http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.js...
a c 83 ) Power supply
September 13, 2008 11:14:24 PM

typerazor said:
this calculates wear and tear too...not everyone uses solid capacitors
set it around 10%, its one of the last things

That was with no cap aging.
September 14, 2008 11:02:56 AM

well thermaltake says 700W for two 9800GX2's, 2 HDD's, a bunch of fans, overclocked Q6600 @ 3.6 and high vcore (cant remember exactly)... at 100% load. i would say this is very conservative, not OVERRATING!
September 14, 2008 11:05:20 AM

considering this is pretty much as high as you could go, except with a TEC unit or maybe three GTX280's? I was a bit sceptical of it at first, since most people with such a rig have like 1000W PSU's... but it seems fine.
September 14, 2008 11:09:52 AM

Where was thermal take when I bought the yearly subscription to out vision which has been a great handy toy for us. they do multiple everything. Haven't tried thermal takes you sure they do amperage.
a c 243 ) Power supply
September 14, 2008 11:31:37 AM

bpogdowz said:
Where was thermal take when I bought the yearly subscription to out vision which has been a great handy toy for us. they do multiple everything. Haven't tried thermal takes you sure they do amperage.

It's the same psu calculator, only provided by Thermaltake. Other sites such as Antec and Newegg also provide it, if you're using the paid version you're a step ahead of the free crowd.
If you want to get an idea about amperage for free try this one
http://web.aanet.com.au/SnooP/psucalc.php

a b ) Power supply
September 14, 2008 12:04:32 PM

delluser1 said:
It's the same psu calculator, only provided by Thermaltake. Other sites such as Antec and Newegg also provide it, if you're using the paid version you're a step ahead of the free crowd.
If you want to get an idea about amperage for free try this one
http://web.aanet.com.au/SnooP/psucalc.php

[:mousemonkey:2] As a 'work in progress' it's quite interesting and IMO worth keeping an eye on, thanks for sharing.
a b ) Power supply
September 14, 2008 12:12:52 PM

Mousemonkey said:
[:mousemonkey:2] As a 'work in progress' it's quite interesting and IMO worth keeping an eye on, thanks for sharing.

Hi Al! :hello: 

How the heck have you been doing?

Good I hope! Ryan
a b ) Power supply
September 14, 2008 12:57:38 PM

4Ryan6 said:
Hi Al! :hello: 

How the heck have you been doing?

Good I hope! Ryan

:hello:  Hi Ry, I've been having a ball mate, new job, new bike, happy days! [:mousemonkey:8]
I hope all is well with you my friend?

Al
a b ) Power supply
September 14, 2008 3:32:18 PM

Mousemonkey said:
:hello:  Hi Ry, I've been having a ball mate, new job, new bike, happy days! [:mousemonkey:8]
I hope all is well with you my friend?

Al

Awesome Man! :bounce: 

Congrats on the new job!

What kind of bike did you get Al?

To the OP, Sorry for temporarily hijacking your thread! ;) 
a b ) Power supply
September 14, 2008 8:28:07 PM

4Ryan6 said:
Awesome Man! :bounce: 

Congrats on the new job!

What kind of bike did you get Al?

To the OP, Sorry for temporarily hijacking your thread! ;) 

Yeah sorry mate, @4ryan6 I found a 2001 Honda ST 1100 Pan European in showroom condition but with less than 10,000 miles on the clock :sol:  , lovely bike to ride and I've always had a soft spot for them, it's the second one I've had because I still can't find anything to like about the ST 1300 other than it's engine.

Still enjoying the country life I trust?

Al
September 15, 2008 2:22:37 AM

hijack thread much? lol... the thermaltake psu calc is not the free outerrvision... it can calculate multiple video cards, which the free outervision one cannot. i think it's the full version..
a b ) Power supply
September 15, 2008 11:16:42 AM

Mousemonkey said:
Yeah sorry mate, @4ryan6 I found a 2001 Honda ST 1100 Pan European in showroom condition but with less than 10,000 miles on the clock :sol:  , lovely bike to ride and I've always had a soft spot for them, it's the second one I've had because I still can't find anything to like about the ST 1300 other than it's engine.

Still enjoying the country life I trust?

Al

Nice Bike Al, she does look like a sweet ride, good on corners plenty of power.

Hopefully one day the wife and I will get back to motorcycling, we both had our own bikes and took a vacation mountain trip, we were on one of those 10 miles of curvy mountain roads, that seem like 50 miles, if you know what I mean.

I was in the lead with the wife following when a dump truck loaded with crushed rock came up behind her and followed her at about 20' for 7 miles, there was no where to pull over, we had CB radios and I was constantly radioing the road conditions back to my wife so she'd know what to expect around the next corner.

Thats was the most miserable bike ride we had ever taken together, my heart was in my throat the entire time, if she'd dropped the bike theres no way that guy could've stopped that truck, its amazing how many things the mind can think about in a situation like that, I had gone over so many senarios in my mind, even to family members blaming me for her being on the bike in the first place.

Well after that trip I sold her bike 2 weeks later, with the promise she could ride mine at any time and I'd keep mine until our friends started on me about getting her a new machine, which lasted about 8 mths then I sold mine.

We haven't given up motorcycling, I'm just looking for a bike that we both can ride together comfortably, been looking at the Yamaha Venture, however right now a new bike is not on the top of the priority list, cause we're still recouping financially from moving into the country.

Ride Safe Al!

Ahh yes we love the country life, its really spoiled us! Ry
!