Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Is it time to buy another DVD/CD read/write drive?

Last response: in Storage
November 26, 2009 9:21:43 PM

My DVD/CD read/write worked fine when I rebuilt my PC recently. But today, it has decided that it does not want to play nice. When I push the "door open" button, the light comes on, a few mechanical noises come wafting out of it, but the @#$% door stays closed. Is it time to buy a new player? It's only 2.5 years old.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
November 26, 2009 9:26:14 PM

What happens when you go to My Computer and Right click on the listed CD/DVD drive and select Eject ?
m
l

Best solution

a b G Storage
November 26, 2009 9:51:04 PM

Is there a disc in it? If the drive has trouble reading from it it may lock up the drive.
In that case restarting and pressing the eject button repeatedly may open the tray.
If that doesn't work just use an eject stick. That's a small metal stick which usually comes with the drive. Just push it in the hole under the tray and it should open.
Related resources
a b G Storage
November 26, 2009 11:31:24 PM

engrbill47 said:
It's only 2.5 years old.

I have had an optical drive (LiteOn, as a matter of fact) fail in 9 months and I have Samsungs and LG's still running after three years.

They fail when they fail.
m
l
December 3, 2009 1:08:26 AM

Mimoso said:
Is there a disc in it? If the drive has trouble reading from it it may lock up the drive.
In that case restarting and pressing the eject button repeatedly may open the tray.
If that doesn't work just use an eject stick. That's a small metal stick which usually comes with the drive. Just push it in the hole under the tray and it should open.

It worked fine for the first two openings w/ the straightened paper clip. Then it started making "expensive" noises. So I replaced with an LG 22X DVD re-writer from Best Buy (OK , I was impatient).
m
l
!