Powercolor HD 4870 strange performance problem!

Jeboor

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008
Yep, i got myself an Powercolor HD 4870, The problem is when i play Crysis Contact mission, when you stand on the hill when Prophet ordes you to destory the jammer, the FPS drops with about 10 FPS, with my old 8800GT the problem wasnt like this at all, even if im playing with lower gfx, the same FPS drop is still there. So i wonder, is it anything with the HD 4870 to do? some tweak i could test out in Catalyst center? Its barle y playable right now. Playing @ 1440 900 all very high FPS@25 (I notice in other games that the FPS goes down when you enter areas with loots of objects, has this with the CPU or the GPU to do?)

Then i found something, take a look at this:

The thing is, i should have 750 Core Clock, but its only on 500?

And memory capacity should be 512? WTF is goin on here?

Anyone that could help me with this? its really anoying!

Specs:
AMD Athlon 64 x2 6400+ (3.2GHz)
4 GB DDR2 SDRAM 6400 Corsair
ASUS M3A Motherboard
630 Watts PSU
Powercolor Radeon HD 4870 512 GDDR5

Thanks for your help!!

georgy

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2008

It's a power saving option. About the memory i'm not sure but the core clock is reduced to 500 when idle.

SpinachEater

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2007
What AA settings do you have selected?

I play at the same rez in DX9 so the settings are all high and I set the AA to 4X. At those settings it runs pretty smooth with just a few slow downs. In DX10, with the same settings the game play isn't as smooth though so there is a hit for running in DX10. If I bump up to 8X it is not playable...even in DX9. I get massive slow downs like what you are describing.

Jeboor

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008

I play in XP Tweaked very High @ 1440 900 2xAA..... its useless to play, when i got to recovery, i couldnt play, the stuttering went down to 10 FPS...... strange.... it shouldnt be like that! is it the CPU? and what about the memory capacity problem?

Looks like 5 of the memory chips on your card are not working (the HD4870 has 8 ram chips of 64 Mb each and your screenshot shows 192 Mb which is the capacity of exactly 3 chips).
Try GPUZ and see what is says the memory is, if it shows the same 192 Mb then it`s time to RMA the card.

^^^^^^^^ Can`t see anything wrong there, your report is exactly the same as mine, apart from the `driver version` which on mine shows /xp not xp64 as does yours.
So, are you using 64 bit XP or 32 bit xp? The drivers will be different and if you are using 32 bit XP and have accidentally installed the 64 bit drivers that my well be your problem...Uninstall, clean out the old drivers and install 32 bit drivers and keep us posted.
Best of luck.

Jeboor:
Yes, your symptoms would indicate lack of video RAM, but I would still suggest a reinstall of the full Catalyst suite before returning the card as faulty.
Nor would I suggest you do that until a few more members have posted their ideas and solutions.
Good luck, keep us posted.

Jeboor

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008
I used AMD OverDrive, but the thing is that with GPUz it says it 512, and every other program like 3DMARK06 says its 512, but AMD Overdrive satys 192... thats strange. Anyone else with a Powercolor HD 4870, that could look in AMD Overdrive if they also have 192? Is it a software problem? Search for AMD Overdrive on google and download! Im going to do a clean boot, and see what happens! Il keep you posted!

AMD Overdrive is an AMD chipset utility, sorry, I`m on an Intel platform, so I cannot use it. Hope the reinstall (clean boot) works, I`m now out of ideas other than it might be a faulty card.
Hope it is n`t.
Best of luck.
Keep posting.
Keep reading!

Jeboor

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008
Well i got Vista Ultimate 64 bit installed.... the strange thing is.... now it says 256 in memory capacity, but its the same or even wore perfomance.... man, now im going to send this card back! somethings wrong!

G

Jeboor I have the same problem!

GPU-Z shows nothing wrong?

And the strange thing is you have similar spec.

Running Vista 64 and using 1440 x 900.

AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+ (3.1GHz)
4 GB DDR2 SDRAM 6400 Corsair
Gigabyte GA-MA770 Motherboard
Corsair 650W TX Series PSU
Powercolor Radeon HD 4870 1GB GDDR5

I used rivatuner to force it to run at 750 gpu instead of swapping to 500 and used ATI tray alongside, it seemed work better than ccc.

I am having problems getting a vista driver for my Asus monitor, Asus don't have one! And there is no generic 1440 x 900 driver.

I wonder if card has problems running 1440 x 900 without a proper driver?

Anyone running ok with 1440 x 900?