Your question

Desktop won't stop rebooting after installing windows7

Tags:
  • Configuration
  • Windows 7
  • Desktops
Last response: in Windows 7
September 3, 2011 5:40:10 AM

Hello everyone! I am new in this forum but i have seen that this place is full of amazing people willing to help. Thanks for your help! Anyway, about 6 or 5 months ago I built my own desktop! (Yay first time eveer!) so everything has been working perfectly fine, no crashes, no freezing; thought i found the perfect computer! However, 2 days ago I updated my OS to Windows 7 Ultimate edition (32x) and since then, all these things have gone to hell. The computer runs smoothly but somehow it reboots by iteself! Every 5 minutes i will reboot (sometimes it takes more than few hours) but it will reboot! It is pissing me off because I thought it was a memory problem but it is not (just ran the memtest and my 6gb of memory ram passed). I updated my Bios, my drivers everything but i will not stop rebooting. I should add that the first OS that i tried to install was windows 7, but since it kept crashing (not rebooting, just crashing) i decided to stick with XP (which has been working fine)... Before rebooting, some weird noises come from the speakers (which makes me think that may be a voltage problem), after rebooting the central fan will just go crazy and make loud noise for 30 seconds. I don't know what 's going on but i need help.

Here are my spec:
- Windows 7 Ultimate Service Pack 1
- MB: Gygabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H
- CPU: AMD Phenom (tm) II X4 955 Processor
- Video: ATI RAdeon HD 5570
- HD: Western Digital WDC WD5000AAKS-00V1A0 500gb
- transfer mode SATA-300 / SATA-300

I dont know what other info you would need but please do not hesitate to ask!! thanks for your help once again

More about : desktop stop rebooting installing windows7

September 3, 2011 1:17:30 PM

Please Help! this is very frustrating! My desktop became unstable after installing windows 7!!
m
l
September 3, 2011 1:50:27 PM

It could be your psu that is the problem. I am not sure what kind or watts you have as it is not listed. It is very strange that in the beginning win7 would not work and you had to go with xp. I would try another psu if you have one. If xp will install then win7 should too. Good luck.
m
l
Related resources
September 3, 2011 2:11:01 PM

I got the same issue 6 month ago.

The issue was the video card. The problem come back at faster rate day-to-day.

1. I figured out, when the display driver isnt installed, the problem seems to disapear.

2. If you can swap your video card with another one, just try it.
m
l
September 3, 2011 2:32:13 PM

christop said:
It could be your psu that is the problem. I am not sure what kind or watts you have as it is not listed. It is very strange that in the beginning win7 would not work and you had to go with xp. I would try another psu if you have one. If xp will install then win7 should too. Good luck.

Hey man, thanks! My psu has 500 watts. Any suggestion?
:( 
m
l
September 3, 2011 2:36:24 PM

eleclerc said:
I got the same issue 6 month ago.

The issue was the video card. The problem come back at faster rate day-to-day.

1. I figured out, when the display driver isnt installed, the problem seems to disapear.

2. If you can swap your video card with another one, just try it.

I will uninstall my display driver and see what happens, in the meanwhile i should add that windows 7 works perfectly when i play games! It's funny but since the first day of using windows 7 (and playing games) it has only rebooted when i was checking my facebook, or email or any other thing besides gaming (beeing idle too), it may just be coincidence though....
m
l
September 3, 2011 2:47:36 PM

Same thing to me, after playing Dragon Age II on full after 1 month, the computer start to restart by itself. after this day, the computer restarted randomly. My graphic card was a Gigabyte HD5670.

I just checkout your motherboard and you have an integrated graphics in. so just jump out on it and try it without using video card.
m
l
September 3, 2011 3:49:03 PM

eleclerc said:
Same thing to me, after playing Dragon Age II on full after 1 month, the computer start to restart by itself. after this day, the computer restarted randomly. My graphic card was a Gigabyte HD5670.

I just checkout your motherboard and you have an integrated graphics in. so just jump out on it and try it without using video card.

Hey man i will try that too! Thanks for your help, i will be out of the town this holidays but i will be back on monday, i will let you know guys how it goes
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
September 3, 2011 3:59:28 PM

When you installed Win 7 was it a clean install or upgrade , because you cannot upgrade to win 7 from XP. Also you said you have 6 gb of ram and a Win 7 32x OS , you are not useing 2 gb of ram because 32 bit OS will only see 4 gb of ram or less. Did you make any changes in the bios ? 500 w Ps is a little low , don't forget everything that is in your computer and draws power needs to be accounted for.
m
l
September 4, 2011 2:15:49 AM

inzone said:
When you installed Win 7 was it a clean install or upgrade , because you cannot upgrade to win 7 from XP. Also you said you have 6 gb of ram and a Win 7 32x OS , you are not useing 2 gb of ram because 32 bit OS will only see 4 gb of ram or less. Did you make any changes in the bios ? 500 w Ps is a little low , don't forget everything that is in your computer and draws power needs to be accounted for.

Hey hello! and thanks everyone! Currently, I'm typing on my desktop... Like one of you suggested, I am using the integrated video card that comes with the motherboard, so far, so good, it was no crashes, although it's been only few minutes. I did installed a clean copy of windows 7, and yes only 3.95~ out of my 6gb is being used. Regarding the psu, i have always used 500w, and it has never crashed nor rebooted when using windows xp... why would it do it when using w7? thanks once again, i will keep posting my results.
m
l
September 5, 2011 8:16:24 PM

Ok guys so its been 2 days already and no crashes nor rebooting... so as eleclerc said, it may be the video card (HD Radeon 5570) that it causing all the trouble. Now that we have found the problem, how can we fix it? I know most of you would say "just buy another video card" but unfortunately, i cant afford one now, so i am asking for an alternative. What is causing the rebooting on my dekstop? Is it a voltage problem? or the driver? Please help!
m
l
September 6, 2011 3:51:42 PM

Hello Hyddro Welcome To Toms Hardware =)

I personally think you might have a SATA controller issue AHCI or you enhanced SATA controller that is setup through the bios of your motherboard try change the interface mode to IDE in the advance settings option generally, i have had this issue before a few time on newer systems, possibly cant read the controller correctly, definitely got something to do with the controlling mode of the HDD'S.
m
l
September 11, 2011 10:02:53 PM

:bounce:  hey guys, thanks again, i just wanted to let you know that i actually fix my computer. all i did was go to the sapphire website and download the drive of my video card from their database. wohala! it works perfectly now, no reboots nor freezing. if it ever crashes again i will let you know by replying to the post, thanks again. :D 
m
l
September 12, 2011 6:08:55 PM

LOL Awesome Hydro glad you came right, do not hesitate to shout should you need anything further.
m
l
!