Sign in with
Your question

Keep my HD3870 in CF or switch to the Diamond HD4870 XOC black edition

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 6, 2008 6:27:07 PM

Hello,

What would better, should I keep my HD3870 in CF or should I upgrade to the Diamond HD4870 XOC Black edition. I have a 22 inch Monitor so I play at a 1680 x 1050 resolution. The rest of my system is as follows:

Here is the video card:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

The clocks on the ram are really nice 1100mhz =(4.4Ghz), with DDR5!!

Intel Q6600 @ 3.0ghz
Asus P5E X38 motherboard
Diamond HD 3870 in CF
4GB Corsair Dominator 1066mhz Ram
Western Digital 320 and 250 GB hard drive(s)

I play all the latest games i.e. Crysis, WOrld in conflict, COD4, COH1&2, Mass Effect, Space Siege.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated?

I was not really a fan of the crossfire solution, having problems with the drivers, and so on.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
August 6, 2008 6:39:12 PM

I'd switch... you'll get more performance out of your setup... although it may not really be worth it... your setup can play all of those games except crysis at max...

i'm getting a black edition when I get home from vacation... currently visiting grand parents on the other side of the country... then i'm going to OC the sh*t out of it due to the unlocked bios
August 6, 2008 6:41:59 PM

If you're satisfied with performance then I wouldn't do it. If you can hold out for another 6 months there will likely be new cards that would be a more significant step up.

On the other hand, if you can get a good price for your current cards (try craigslist people are always overcharging for computer hardware on that site) then it might be worth it.
!