Asus P5N-D 750i - Which chipset driver do I download?

DigitalD

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2008
I recently put together a new computer and I understand that I should update my chipset driver. My motherboard is an Asus P5N-D and the chipset is the nVidia 750i. I'm not sure if I should download the driver from Asus's website or nVidia's website.

The download on the Asus website looks like this:
------------------------
Version 9.46

Description NVIDIA nForce C55/MCP51 Chipset Package Driver V9.46 (Chipset Driver V4.6.0.0) for Windows Vista/64bit Vista.(WHQL)
File Size 100.39 (MBytes) 2008/01/09 update
------------------------

While the download on the nVidia website looks like this:
------------------------
nForce Driver WHQL Certified
Version: 15.23
Release Date: September 12, 2008
Operating System: Windows Vista 64-Bit
Language: U.S. English
File Size: 53.8 MB

Windows Vista 64-bit Driver Versions:

* Ethernet Driver (v67.89) WHQL
* Network Management Tools (v67.91) "Sedona"
* SATAIDE Driver (v10.3.0.42) WHQL
* SATARAID Driver (v10.3.0.42) WHQL
* RAIDTOOL Application (v10.3.0.42)
* SMU Driver (v1.61) WHQL
* SMBus Driver (v4.69) WHQL
* Away Mode Driver (v6.0.6000.107) WHQL
* Installer (v6.14)
------------------------

The two downloads don't even appear to be the same thing. The version numbers and file sizes are very different. Does anyone know which I should get?

DigitalD

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2008
I did some more research and found conflicting information which has me really confused.

The download on the Asus website for my motherboard is described as "nForce C55/MCP51". I did some research and learned that the C55 refers to the north bridge chipset and the MCP51 refers to the south bridge. Also, C55 is the nVIDIA nForce 650i SLI and MCP51 is the NVIDIA nForce 430i. The problem is that my motherboard is supposed to have the 750i chipset as stated on the back of the box. So that means that Asus is trying to have me download the wrong drivers, right?

I thought so, and was going to get the 750i drivers from nVidia's site when I noticed that CPU-Z detects both my chipsets as nForce 650i's! I was a little worried until I looked at Everest, another system information tool, which detected my north bridge as an nVidia nForce 750i SLI (C72P) chipset, which it should be.

So I guess what I'm going to do is just assume that CPU-Z is wrong, assume Everest is right, assume Asus is trying to give me the wrong drivers, and download the drivers from nVidia's site.

ajcroteau

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
The Asus website is going to have the chipset drivers from NVidia anyways...

But a good rule of thumb, always go with the manufacturers website for drivers. They're gonna know which drivers work best with their products.

Don't become a QA person for any manufacturer's products, they pay people big bucks to do that...

AJ

ghmage

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2007
CPU-Z uses known hardware info, as such it isn't always going to be correct with new hardware. Try a newer version, assuming you haven't. Not all hardware is terribly friendly about plaintext identifying itself, so you surely should not be down on CPU-Z for this.