No keyboard/mouse at log-in screen

mickeddie

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2004
I'm attempting to troubleshoot a machine I built for someone a while ago, and the keyboard works during POST (to get into setup, select safe mode) but at the Windows log-in screen neither one works! The OS is Win XP Pro.

Any suggestions on how I can log into this machine?

BTW, the symptoms are graphical so of course my first thought is to update the drivers, and check for viruses.

Thanks!

Eddie

johnnyq1233

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2007
If your Keyboard and mouse are usb then you have to enable the usb keyboard/mouse feature in the bios.
That's why it works on post but not on login screen!
Hope this helps.

mickeddie

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2004
I thought of that after I put the machine away (as I'm at work and cannot play with it more right now). I didn't think that was it since the original configuration WAS for usb...I'll check it out later.

Thanks!

I had an MSI board once that actually disabled the USB ports, and the USB keyboard/mouse options when you reset the BIOS. (seemed kind of backwards to me) But after you cleared the BIOS, you had to have a PS2 keyboard to get back in and turn the stuff back on. I have an old el-cheapo PS2 keyboard I keep around just for this for this problem.

Try unplug/re-plugin the keyboard and mouse and see if that causes windows to autodetect them. It's possible the default drivers dissappeard somehow, re-inserting everything after windows starts should get them working again.

If its a optical mouse and ps/2 keyboard though, then something else is off...

mickeddie

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2004
It's a USB mouse/keyboard. The person has a password at log-in and I without the keyboard working I cannot log in to let Windows auto-detect.

Try re-plugging them in at the login screen. It worked for me the other day when I tried to uninstal some old drivers for my headset, and accidentally deleted the entire USB hub listing! Once i re-plugged in my keyboard/mouse at the login screen, they were detected almost instantly.

Jeff Fahlman

Honorable
May 11, 2013
I had this problem with my newly installed ASUS P8Z77-V trying to boot up an old install of Windows XP. First i had problems getting windows to start which was changing SATA to IDE setting in bios to a frozen keyboard and mouse at the login screen. To fix the login screen i had to change the FAST BOOT settings in BIOS to full-initialization instead of the partial-initialization. Fixed.