How important is the 6-pin power cable on video cards?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dougx1317

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2008
I just bought a BFG Geforce 7900GT OC 256MB PCI-e on ebay. (Please don't tell me how obsolete it is, because I got it for $26.) I just found out that it does not come with anything other then the card. The card has a place to plug in a 6-pin connector, but I'd have to go buy one separately. I know that they are sold for only $5, but I was so proud of the low price I paid for the card.

So, what would happen to the performance of the card without the 6-pin connector? Will it cause worse graphics? How important is the 6-pin power connector on a BFG Geforce 7900GT OC 256MB PCI-e Video Card?

orangegator

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2007

Without the plug, you've got a new $26 paperweight. Get the molex to 6-pin adapter.

hhahaahyea

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2008
haha yeah just grab an adapter. my old x800 pro wouldn't boot without it. it made a loud beeping noise. another 5 dollars for what you're getting is still really really good.

hsetir

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2008
Yeah, if the plug is given, it won't work without that connector. It's needed for the extra power. PCI-E slot can provide only 75w, PCI-E 2.0 150w , pci-e 6 pin connector 75w and pci-e 8 pin connector 150w. Depending upon how hefty is the power usage and few overclocking margins, additional power connector is given.

G

I'm surprised you guys so quickly assumed this misinformation. Almost all graphics cards will adapt to the lower power consumption by automatically reducing they're performance to whatever power they are supplied with.

While in the the pci-e slot without the 6 pin the card will be given a voltage of 25-75 watts.
When the 6 pin connector is plugged in it will have 75-150 watts of power. About double the capabilities.

Remember, with more power comes hotter temps and probably should just be upgraded altogether.

I'm surprised you guys so quickly assumed this misinformation. Almost all graphics cards will adapt to the lower power consumption by automatically reducing they're performance to whatever power they are supplied with.

While in the the pci-e slot without the 6 pin the card will be given a voltage of 25-75 watts.
When the 6 pin connector is plugged in it will have 75-150 watts of power. About double the capabilities.

Remember, with more power comes hotter temps and probably should just be upgraded altogether.
I'm surprised that you a) respond to a two year old thread and b) did not know that a 7900GT will not adapt to a low power state, it will just beep and stay in 2d mode until a 6 pin PCIe power connector is attached.

Status
Not open for further replies.