Picking up digital cable channels on my TV without a digit..

Last response: in Home Theatre
Share
April 12, 2004 8:13:34 PM

Archived from groups: rec.video.cable-tv,alt.video.digital-tv (More info?)

I have a Sony WS550 series RPTV. It has a built in HDTV tuner, and a
QAM tuner (digital cable tuner). I've called my cable provider
(Cable One) and asked if I subscribe to their digital cable package,
can I pick up the channels on my digital-cable-ready TV? (I dislike
cable boxes for several reasons). They said no, I need to use their
box. When I asked why, of course they did not respond (this was via
email).

But I *can* get some digital channels. Channel 76.1 on my TV is the
pay-per-view preview channel. That, along with 10-20 audio only music
channels is all the digital channels I've been able to pick up. But
yesterday I was tuning around and found CourtTV and the International
History channel on 76.10 and 76.11. Great! I thought. Then I turn on
the TV today, and it says "No Signal". They're not there anymore!

Any idea what's going on? I'd really like to be able to pick these
up.

Thanks for any help.

-Ryan
Anonymous
April 13, 2004 12:03:19 AM

Archived from groups: rec.video.cable-tv,alt.video.digital-tv (More info?)

CableCard. Fairly new stuff, not implemented everywhere.

www.cablelabs.com

Read up and print out some highlights. Take it to your provider, show
that you appreciate technology. I'd give a sub the card and a free
month of everything just to see it and be able to take a few pictures
for educational use.

Only minus issue so far it that cablecard is one way - no PPV, no VOD.

--
moblog at http://dctdctator.textamerica.com/
!