Missing Ethernet Network Adapter Icon

Last response: in Networking
February 18, 2009 1:29:13 AM

I have a shuttle xpc sn25p, yea its old i know

Specs:
AMD Athlon 64 X2
Core Processor 4200+
2.21 GHz 512MB Ram

I'm trying to connect to the internet but I only see the 1394 connection under network where usually i'd also see the ethernet adapter.

I recently had some ram go bad on me and I'm not sure what happened. When I plug in the cat5 cable in , the lights in the back are blinking as per usual yet nothing is happening on the pc

I've tried restoring via system tools which it states as an incomplete restore, installing drivers for the Nforce 4 Ultra Mobo, and trying to add new hardware via control panel with the chipset.zip on the shuttle website.

Help would be appreciate thanks
February 18, 2009 1:37:23 AM

Check please the device manager.

- Right-click My Computer, click Properties, click the Hardware tab, and then click Device Manager.
- Click the plus sign under network adapters.

You'll see there the if the ethernet adapter is installed properly.

1394 is just the communication port for peer to peer.
February 18, 2009 2:07:49 PM

ok well that's the thing there's no ethernet adapter in device manager. i know the 1394 connection is the firewire.
Related resources
February 18, 2009 3:00:36 PM

Do you have anything in yellow or with a ? or ! next to it? Motherboard/chipset drivers don't always include the NIC driver in them.
February 18, 2009 3:14:48 PM

Nope. The subcat of the network adapter shows only the 1394.

I've tried looking inside the computer but it seems that everything is integrated into the motherboard so I can't unplug the card and re-plug it(the ethernet) back in.
February 18, 2009 4:29:04 PM

Well you have to consider of buying a new one then.
!