Overclocking for the first time

FirstTimeBuilder

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
I'm thinking about overclocking my PC for the first time.

I went into my BIOS to poke around today and found that the cpu multiplier is maxed at 9.5X, but I could adjust the FSB speed (manufacture setting is 266). I bumped my FSB speed to 300 mhz but when i realized i couldnt adjust the multiplier i reset to the default settings--I wimped out.

My questions are: I've never done this before, and what i've read online suggests bumping both values up a bit, step by step, and booting up to test stability, but since I can only adjust the FSB speed, am I going to be doing my system harm if i tweak one value but not the other?

Is there a way to change the max multiplier or are these values fixed by the mobo, or the cpu manufacturer or what? I assume that if i can adjust only one value, my options/range for overclocking are limited.

Also, when i bumped the FSB speed up to 300mhz i noticed that some of the values (voltages i suspect) for the RAM changed as well. Should I manually be fiddling with these values at all or let BIOS do the adjusting?

Here is my first build rig that i've been pretty happy with over the past year and a half or so:

Mobo: Gigabyte EP35-DS3R
CPU: Intel core 2 duo E7200 2.53ghz
RAM: 4x2g Mushkin DDR2 800
PSU: Corsair vx450w
GPU: EVGA 8800GTS 640mb
HD: Western Digital caviar 640g 7200rpm SATA

all cooling is stock

any tips or advice would be great, thx

overshocked

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2009
1. No if you bump up the fsb and not the multiplier it will not harm the system.

2.the max multiplier is the cpu. only the "extreme cpu's dont have a locked multi.

3.you should adjust the voltages manually.

I recommend getting some better cooling.

FirstTimeBuilder

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
Thanks alot, I'm currently overclocking the cpu just a bit. I upped the FSB speed to 300mhz from 266. Since my multiplier is maxed at 9.5, how high should i try and go with my FSB?

I was thinking 320ish?

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/245679-11-guide-overclocking-ds3l-updated-2008

HOWTO: Overclock C2Q (Quads) and C2D (Duals) - Guide v1.6.1
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/240001-29-howto-overclock-quads-duals-guide

Core 2 Quad and Duo Temperature Guide
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/221745-29-core-quad-temperature-guide

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/245679-11-guide-overclocking-ds3l-updated-2008

Intel recommends no more than 1.3625 volts on a 45 nm CPU. I tend to follow Intel's recommendations - unlike some people here. :D

Having said that, there's nothing wrong with overshocked approach - as long as you are aware of what you are doing.
----------
Overclocking since 1978 - Z80 (TRS-80) from 1.77 MHz to 2.01 MHz

FirstTimeBuilder

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
I guess just one. If, for example, i decide to upgrade my PSU (or other components) in the future, do i need to bring all my OC'd components back down to stock speeds/voltages, change out the PSU, and then overclock step by step again?

overshocked

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2009
Well i would bring the components down to stock speeds whe you install a new component.

Because that way when you boot up you know that if you get a bsod that it is your new component and not your overclock.

But you wont need to put it up step by step like you did originally. Just bump it up back to what it used to be.

FirstTimeBuilder

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
Ok, so i've been having some success with overclocking, i think. I've been following those guides above and things seem to be running well; tbh i'm very impressed and have already noticed quite a difference in speed. I haven't been pushing it too hard yet so i can get my feet wet. I do have a few questions now however.

I have been mainly ramping up the FSB and every time i post with no problems, system seems to be running faster than ever. I have not messed around with vcore yet--i was intending to lower the vcore to help the temps when i got comfortable with playing with the FSB speed, and this RAM divider concept. I have not OC'd to the point where I get a BSOD yet.

My last two configurations have been:

1. FSB of 333, 9.5x for 3.16Ghz. Here i set the FSB : RAM divider to 5:6, which my BIOS refers to as 2.4. I believe this maxes out my DRAM freq at 800 Mhz, the max for my RAM being DDR2 800.

2. FSB of 343, 9.5x for 3.25Ghz. FSB : RAM divider was 1:1 (so as not to exceed DRAM freq of 800) DRAM freq 650 Mhz.

I hope this makes sense--i'm still trying to figure out all of this terminology.

I ran a prime95 stress test. It seems to run for a while with no errors, but i stopped it when the core temps hit 72C as im running stock cooling atm. Are these temps a concern?

Also, when i'm setting the FSB : RAM divider or whatever, is the goal to maximize the DRAM freq but not exeed your RAM's rated freq? Or can you exceed it a little bit and thereby OC the RAM? (I'm still learning about the whole FSB : RAM concept so my question may not even be well formed.)

Should I try and lower the vcore and see if the temp on the cpu drops? (ive never payed attention to temps before so im getting a bit nervous now that im running speedfan)

Anyway, I'm temped to stop messing around as i've got a new cpu cooler, case fans, PSU, and GPU coming next week.

Where should i go from here?

Any comments or suggestions are welcome, thanks.

Hard Line

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2008
if you get a decent cooler like the freezer 7 pro ( what I have) i think you can hit 3.6-3.8 without much issue... I managed 4.03 with that cooler and I have the same cpu. I hope this help you.. overshocked knows his stuff.. and if you have any more questions, we would all be happy to help

^Noooo!!! The Frezer Pro is old. Get a S1283 or a Core Contact.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835207004
$25 after MIR

HSF reviews: http://www.frostytech.com/top5heatsinks.cfm

2. FSB of 343, 9.5x for 3.25Ghz. FSB : RAM divider was 1:1 (so as not to exceed DRAM freq of 800) DRAM freq 650 Mhz.
Keep SPD at 2. (Basically sets FSB:RAM at 1:1). No point in messing with RAM speeds,timing,etc unless you are in to getting good scores in synth benches.

I ran a prime95 stress test. It seems to run for a while with no errors, but i stopped it when the core temps hit 72C as im running stock cooling atm. Are these temps a concern?
Yes. I personally consider more than 68C to be too much. Others may disagree with me ;) on that.

Should I try and lower the vcore and see if the temp on the cpu drops?
Sure. Go for it. Imo, you should start OCing after you get new cooling as once you get a new HSF OCing temps/voltages/stability may change.

Intel recommends no more than 1.3625 volts on a 45 nm CPU.
Actually, that's the max stock voltages that Intel uses. ABSOLUTE MAX voltage for 45nm is 1.45v. ABSOLUTE MAX is defined as the point where CPU damage happens. See under "Absolute Maximum and Minimum Ratings" (page 17) here: http://download.intel.com/design/processor/datashts/318732.pdf
It's amazing how much info's available in the Intel data sheets.

esp @overshocked: BSEL mods any one? Ahh.... I miss the good o'l days. Tbird unlocking....ATOX850 pipes......oh the days. Imo, OCing is no longer a "black art" due to ease of OCing with BIOS and even through Windows (note: I DO NOT recommend OCing through Windows).

^True, but at $25 after MIR the CCF is a better buy than AF7 ($32 @ Newegg) and better performance and future (as in can be used on higher heat CPUs ie i7). It's a good cooler, but there's better ones out now. I use one (AF7) on my old Celeron D @3.6.

Hard Line

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2008
oh ok.I stand corrected. I haven't looked since i purchased mine... so i am a little out of the loop on aftermarket cooling solutions. I was looking at the coolermaster V-10 though lol overkill i know. and If I can manage to get my board to let me FSB go higher than 440 i would be real happy.. lol I have heard of the core contact but haven't found any good reviews on it

overshocks

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2009
68C isnt high if it's core temp,
ur max core temp is 100C
also use intelburntest v2.3 instead of prime because its faster and better.
10mins of intel = 10 hours of prime

FirstTimeBuilder

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
Thanks for the info. I've got a sunbeam core contact freezer on the way along with two decent 120 case fans to replace my cheapo stock fans. I'll play around more and post with the results in a few days.

overshocked

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2009

Shadow gave you pretty thourough answers. I would wait to get a new cooler to overclock more but it looks like youve got a decent chip because you havnt needed to increase the vcore yet.

72c is getting pretty hot. ;)

overshocked

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2009

+1 to the ccf.

And i agree. should be aiming at 4ghz no prob. [:mousemonkey:4]

100C??? I do hope you are not implying that OP doesn't need cooling. Tj Max for 45nm is 95C. Again, cooler CPU = happy CPU. Heat = CPU death. Always keep the CPU coolest possible.