First self-built system, issues with OC cpu temperature

I just recently built my first computer with i7 920, EVGA Sli LE. Am using Xigmatek's Dark Knight S1283V for the heatsink and using AS5 for the thermal compound. Seeing all the online reports of overclocking with i7 on air, I figured to give it a try myself. However, I have been getting quite high readings from RealTemp on load running LinX. Going over 80 at a mere 3.3ghz. Initially I thought it was an issue with application of the thermal compound, but reinstalling the heatsink/fan has yielded little in the ways of benefits. Are there anything else that could be the cause and that I can investigate? Am attempting to OC to a fairly conservative 3.6ghz, but can't get anything going that would survive a long stress test on prime95 without seeing extreme core temperatures.
7 answers Last reply
More about first self built system issues temperature
  1. Might look at other CPU coolers, possibly your case is poor airflow. LinX is a really xtreme benchmark, what does prime show for max temps?

Your CPU HS fannage might really be poor also.
  2. ecael said:
    I just recently built my first computer with i7 920, EVGA Sli LE. Am using Xigmatek's Dark Knight S1283V for the heatsink and using AS5 for the thermal compound. Seeing all the online reports of overclocking with i7 on air, I figured to give it a try myself. However, I have been getting quite high readings from RealTemp on load running LinX. Going over 80 at a mere 3.3ghz. Initially I thought it was an issue with application of the thermal compound, but reinstalling the heatsink/fan has yielded little in the ways of benefits. Are there anything else that could be the cause and that I can investigate? Am attempting to OC to a fairly conservative 3.6ghz, but can't get anything going that would survive a long stress test on prime95 without seeing extreme core temperatures.

Try prime95 or OCCT for stability - Burn tests are a bit extreme, Make sure your CPU fan is running at max - or even get a new one - I myself am using the scythe ultra kaze 2k fans and its keeping my temps reasonably low (78 under load) @ 4.2ghz with a TRUE

you could also try testing stability and heat on a test bench instead of inside your case
  3. Overnight it seems like the bonding action promised by the AS5 has taken effect (yet again) and the temperature is more manageable at 3.6ghz now, however, is it normal to see a temperature difference between cores during tests as far as 6 degrees apart?

Prime95 was producing similar results when I first posted, now the blend is yielding around low 80s, linx would probably still push the temperature way higher though.
  4. ecael said:
    Overnight it seems like the bonding action promised by the AS5 has taken effect (yet again) and the temperature is more manageable at 3.6ghz now, however, is it normal to see a temperature difference between cores during tests as far as 6 degrees apart?

Prime95 was producing similar results when I first posted, now the blend is yielding around low 80s, linx would probably still push the temperature way higher though.

Yes. 6 degrees apart is normal.

That is about what i get. I am assuming that the first core is hotter than the rest?
  5. What case you have? Probably bad air flow, you're at 80s on 3.6ghz which is still high, shouldnt run on daily basis
  6. Simple test:

Open the side of your case and blow a house fan into your case. If you temps go down, you have an airflow problem. If temps stay the same, you have a hardware/component problem.
  7. I agree with rubix, he should post his case and how many fans he says added on if he did. Also if the CPU fan is at highest rpm or not. I beleive it's an air flow problem because at 80s for 3.6ghz thats ridiculous.

Post pics of the mounted heatsink on ur CPU if you can or make sure you mounted properly.
Ask a new question

Read More

Heatsinks Thermal Compound Overclocking