HD 4870 Fan Speed Fix?

Witt78

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
I thought this would be easy to find. However, now that I need the info, I can't find it anywhere.

How do I boost the fan speed of my new HD 4870 Radeon?

It's HOT! hehe

- Witt

sarwar_r87

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2008
f you make a profile in catalyst after turning on Overdrive( make sure clock and memory settings are correct). You can then go to the file "C:\Users\Bretware\AppData\Local\ATI\ACE\Bretware. XML. the xml file will have the same name as the catalyst profile you saved. right click and hit edit.

<Feature name="FanSpeedAlgorithm_0">
<Property name="FanSpeedAlgorithm" value="Manual" />
</Feature>
<Feature name="FanSpeedRPMTarget_0">
<Property name="Want" value="0" />
</Feature>
<Feature name="FanSpeedPercentTarget_0">
<Property name="Want" value="65" />

Change the value to "manual" and Want value to "65"

Save the file then reload your profile in catalyst.

65% sould be more than enof, althou i heard ppl geting lower than 50 with 45% only

You will may have to select the profile everytime you start the computer, but it will work until there is a fix or better info so i can figure how to change the auto target temp.
Good Luck

NOTE: i think using rivatuner to increase ur fan speed is a better option.

SpinachEater

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2007
FYI, the bretware thing above is for vista if I remember correctly.

For XP:

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Application Data\ATI\ACE\Profiles

The_Abyss

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2006
The cooling solution for the 4870 is poor IMHO. My PC is near silent, and at 30% fan speed on the 4870 is becomes quite noticeable.

Only a 3rd party cooling system is going to get around that.

Unfortunately, it looks like the X2 is virtually identical.

stevozilik

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2008
Guys I'm wondering.

I'm having issues with HD4870 regarding crashing driver in many games and sometimes recovering (in opposed COD4 works great even on 70-80 C) . In the games that it is crashing it is 'easily' fixed by manualy increasing the fan speed to about 40% . I know that the card runs hot, but it should not crash, I'm righ? Or does anybody has that problem with crashing on high temperatures (about 70-80C) as well ? Should I ask for a replacement?

SpinachEater

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2007

You have to break up your blanket statement. The temps are the lowest that I have ever seen for a stock card. It isn't an opinion, this is the coolest stock card that I have ever owned. I can run at full load and never break 58C. My fan is set to an audible level however (40%), but the point is, my previous VGAs couldn't even idle that low.

The fan noise is what you are complaining about. The % speed that people can tolerate is all just a matter of preference. I do agree, it could use a more efficient/quieter fan so that people don't have to base their GPU cooling on noise level but the heatsink with heat pipes and rear exhaust cooling setup does a very top notch job.

SpinachEater

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2007

No, you shouldn't be crashing at 80C, at least not due to the temperature...you should be able to get in the 90s with no issues. Have you ran the ATI tool to see if you are getting artifacts? Are you overclocking at all (your system and GPU)? You might want to do a quick check to make sure the screws are tight on the back side of your card. If you can do this, I would recommend taking the heatsink off and replacing the thermal paste with better stuff. I got a 10C drop by doing that. There were some people who got their cards with loose heatsinks so I am curious if yours is on securely or not.

So, for the drivers...did you completely clean out the old drivers before you installed the new ones? What drivers are you using?

stevozilik

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2008
I have not tried any ATI tool , where can I get it?

I'm not overclocking the pgu.
I'm overclocking my cpu now but I've tested the cpu and mobo seriously and it is stable. I was trying to run on stock settings as well and no change. The screws are tight, I've tried to place it in different slots, no change. How come that COD4 is running without any problems and other games are not? I could probobly provide a better cooling sollution, but that's not what I want. I want a card that will work at 80C as all the other 4870 do. Then I cool it down if I want to...

There are no old dirvers, I have installed freshly new Vista and XP to try it out, same behaviour

Greg86

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2008
Just use the text edit fix that sarwar_r87 suggested. It works great. Honestly, I dont see why people are still having a problem with this. I have mine set to 35% and I cant break 65C even after 2 hours of gaming. Its about ~48C idle. Its not even that loud either.

copasetic

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2008

Have you installed ATI's hotfix for the 4800s? ATI says the 4870 has a maximum operating temp of 120C, so 80C shouldn't cause any problems.

stevozilik

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2008
I've tried the 8.6 drivers with hotfix, but I was assuming that the 8.7 contains the hotfix. The hotfix is a complete driver version and if I have the hotfix I don't have the 8.7 drivers. Is my understanding right? Can you give me a link to the hotfix so I'm sure what you mean?

copasetic

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2008
This is the link to the hotfix:

http://support.ati.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=894&task=knowledge&questionID=35298

I've only installed this hotfix, no other catalyst drivers (cause it does come with the display driver like you said) and I haven't had any problems at all in my games. Maybe try wiping all the display drivers you have and just installing the hotfix. Your problem is a bit odd though in that it's fixed when you up the fan speed, 80C shouldn't be enough to cause crashes but it does look like temperature is to blame. Might be cause to RMA the card...

Transsive

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
Just got an Asus HD 4870.

It idles at 80 degrees celsius. (fan speed 22% I believe)

After I edited the xlm file to 30% and enabled ATI overdrive the idle temperature is now 62-65 degrees. Sound level is very low.

After 35% the noise starts to be too much.
40% drops the idle temp to 58.

Sound level at 100% is actually scary...

lee-gamer

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2008
I use the 40% and have a temperature of about 53 C.
Well its a bit noisy but while using it won't bother about it.
Why don't ATi don,t fix that thing.
At 23% the temperature is above 85C.

Is that temperature too high for the card?

brujeria2666

Nov 2, 2008

well my card runs at 49C with crysis, and im not using any water cooling or anything, i just download the new drivers from ati http://ati.amd.com/support/driver.HTML
and run the catalyst control center, and ther u can control the fan manually, i got mine at 100% everytime im playing crysis, and stops crashing , and freezing,
and runs at 49C or 52c max, and when im not playing crysis , i lowerit to 45% ,, try it >> it works for me

keyter

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2008
I too have a Sapphire 4870, and at first the idle temp was around 80, but with the new driver (8.10) I set the fan to 38%, and now it remains just under 50 Idle, and 60 stressed.

I have no problem playing COD4, Crysis Max settings etc.

I do have another problem. I would love to benchmark my machine with different CPU speeds, but my 3D mark 05 AND 06 will not run. It installs successfuly, but when I start the app, the opening screen just hangs, even if I leave it for 30 min. Not Responding. Before I load Catalyst 8.8 or 8.9, could it be my graphic drivers (8.10), or might the problem be somewhere else? Do other 8.10 users have isues with 3D Mark?