Do these temps seem reasonable?

j2talc

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2009
I was wondering if you thought these temps seem reasonable with my heatsink.
I am using a Zalman CNPS9700LED heatsink with a Q8200 chip. I have a Cooler Master Centurion 590 case with an intake fan in the front, exhaust in the back, intake on the side, and exhaust on the top. I can post pictures of my setup if needed but below are the readings. I have read the thread where it states that these are acceptable temperatures but my question is more about the performance of the heatsink. Should it be doing better or is it not that great? I would prefer to have all core temperatures in the safe region.
cputemps.jpg

Conumdrum

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
Is that load or idle temps?
Benching software and such is very varied. I use these for each purpose:
These are pretty standard and used by many.
Monitoring the PC temps overall: HWmonitor aka hardware monitor
CPUZ for CPU info
GPUZ for GPU info
CPU only: RealTemp
GPU only: ATI Tool, I have a Nivida GTX280, so it works on Nvidia

Loading/benching tools:
CPU loaders: Prime95 and OCCT
GPU Loaders: ATI Tool and the best one is Furmark, nothing pushes the GPU harder right now.
Benching for overall graphics/gaming performance is 3DMark06

j2talc

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2009
Sorry, these are idle temps and below is HWmonitor's idle results
cputemps2.jpg

This is when I was running prime95 with the cpu fan set at 1225 (the lowest). I also turned up the fan to the max speed and they dropped about 4c.
stresstemps.jpg

overshocks

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2009
Did you overclock your CPU or is this at stock settings? If so it's pretty high.
Your cooler is pretty old and it's not that great, but it shouldn't reach those temps if its at stock speed for your CPU.

overshocked

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2009
Well i like to see that there is not a very large difference between load and idle.
That usually means that the problem is the room temp. What is the room temp?

But those temps are pretty high. maybe try to reseat the cooler if the room temp is fairly low.

overshocks

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2009
List your ambient temperature, case model, how many fans intake, exhaust..list as much things u can

there's no way it should be that high with STOCK settings no overclock..seems weird..try mounting the cooler again because it is quite complicated mounting and u prob did it wrong

you should idle under 40 core temps easily. from my experience

j2talc

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2009
The room temps are around 70F. Like I stated before I have a 120mm intake on the front, 80mm intake on the side, 80mm exhaust on the top and the side.
I have tried to reseat the cooler a few times, maybe I'm doing it wrong but I have watched some videos on how to do it correctly. I have also added in two other 80mm fans (1 intake, 1 exhaust) and that didn't change the temperatures much/if at all.
I'm out of ideas.

j2talc

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2009
Here is what real temp looks like with settings open, and no I didn't change anything in the other programs.
realtemp.jpg

j2talc

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2009
I keep the Zalman at its lowest setting (it has its own controller) , ~1225RPMs, mostly because as you turn it up it gets too loud

overshocked

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2009

You need to crank that up!

You have it set to low.

According to intel, it emites 95w of heat. At that i would expect it to raise the temp about 20-25 above ambient. Ambient in this case is 70-75F wich equals 21-24C.

(20-25)+(21-24)= 41-49c

Add in that you may have mounted it incorrectly etc. and you could be getting some high temps at load.

^that was at low speed

This is at high speed.

(15-19)+(21-24)= 36-43

Those are all at load.

j2talc

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2009
Thanks for your thoughts overshocked, I am going to try to reseat it again but I will be keeping the fan on low. The computer is too loud already and I don't want it louder.

overshocks

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2009
Hold up. What's the highest RPM your fan can spin? Also, even if it's ON LOW temps shouldn't be that high. Your situation is pretty weird because it's at stock settings and speedstep is on correct?

j2talc

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2009
The max speed is ~2475. Yes everything is at stock settings and I haven't found a speedstep option in the bios. I reseated the fan today with generic thermal paste and now my temps are worse. I ordered some arctic silver 5 which I should get in 2 days and I am going to apply using the method below.

QuadCoreAS5.jpg

overshocks

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2009
I have never tried that method of applying thermal paste because the people on this forums usually spread it around making a thin layer. Which is said to be best, but it's your choice, you can experiment which method is best.
Again even if ur fan is on low 1225rpm it should not be that warm, weird.

overshocked

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2009

Overshocks, that is wrong.

Most people go buy the method listed by jtalc

overshocks

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2009
Lol, i said usually and "most people" cannot be proven anyways, but I read a lot of people doing it the thin layer way.
lets not spam and help people, i dnt wanna start a "efight":D

Yup. I do the thin layer. It works best for AS5 due to the partical size. Imo, don't go by the Arctic's method. After all they are trying to sell this stuff. I remember this thread over at xs where they compared the methods(IIRC around 2006 or 07). Thin layer spread using yor finger covered in cling wrap worked best.

Conumdrum

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
This forum and it's advice sometimes is suspect. On other forums where hundreds of watercoolers and phase/LN2 people don't make a thin layer. More of an issue with air pockets with the spread around method, especially on unlapped CPUs and heatsinks.

I know ya don't want to start an argument. And that was not spam, it was a solid intelligent post. Take it easy, please, for Toms and the users here. I post to help, hoping you do too.