Sign in with
Your question

Does onboard video out still use a video card?

Last response: in Motherboards
October 14, 2008 7:44:48 PM

I am sure this has been asked somewhere before, unfortunately I could not find that post. So I will ask myself.

If I buy a motherboard with a HDMI out (use any motherboard you want as an example) will the motherboard still be able to use a video card for games with out using the video card's out?

for example : I plug my moniter into my motherboard but I want to play a fancy new game that my motherboard can not run "good". Would my motherboard be able to take advantage of the graphics card while still using the motherboards HDMI out?

Sorry for all the redundancies.
a b V Motherboard
a b U Graphics card
October 14, 2008 8:13:30 PM

I believe what you want to do is have the dedcated video card pass the video through the motherboard's video card. In which case the answer is no.

It would sorta work for hybrid multi gpu system but would severely limit the performance potential. There are GPU with HDMI and simple DVI t HDMI adapters available for you to use instead of onboard.
October 14, 2008 9:11:04 PM

Thanks a lot!

A follow up question, does a video card with HDMI have any way to carry audio from the motherboard or audio card?
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
a b U Graphics card
October 14, 2008 9:16:53 PM

Petoria said:
Thanks a lot!

A follow up question, does a video card with HDMI have any way to carry audio from the motherboard or audio card?

MOST have an internal connector for passing through motherboard digital audio from the internal SPDIF connector. But you'd need to find the proper cable.

Better still, some ATI cards have a built-in audio processor, so you don't even need the motherboard audio. I have an HD 3850 with an onboard audio codec.
October 14, 2008 9:19:59 PM

to furthur help you, what video card are you thinking of getting?
October 14, 2008 9:40:53 PM

Thank you all for your reply's.

I need to buy a new motherboard so i just started looking for the best cheapest solution. Right now I have no specific motherboard I wish to purchase.

When I say cheapest I am willing to spend the right amount of money on a good quality product. I do not need some sort of mother board with 3 SLI ports and a giant laser that heats up my coffee. Thats a little over the top, well maybe not the giant laser...

The main idea is to hook up my computer to my HDTV via hdmi. I do have an adapter for DVI to HDMI but i want audio as well for now and for when i finally buy a receiver.

If I have to purchase a video card to make this work that is ok but again it has to be a good investment.

I can mention my current video card is a Geforce 7950 GT and my TV is an Olevia 252TFHD

I have not looked at receivers yet but I plan on buying one sometime next summer, so at this point I have no model numbers to give.
a b V Motherboard
a b U Graphics card
October 15, 2008 12:45:04 AM

Petoria said:
The main idea is to hook up my computer to my HDTV via hdmi. I do have an adapter for DVI to HDMI but i want audio as well for now and for when i finally buy a receiver.

Recent ATI cards put HDMI audio through the DVI output, and include the proper adapter for it. So your card doesn't need an HDMI connector.
October 15, 2008 12:54:02 AM

Thank you Crashman

I guess then I should stick with a motherboard that supports ATI

I have been looking into the issue from your previous suggestion and it seems that what you said is true, most cards have a S/PDIF connection to include audio.
a b V Motherboard
a b U Graphics card
October 15, 2008 3:20:15 AM

Petoria said:
Thank you Crashman

I guess then I should stick with a motherboard that supports ATI

I have been looking into the issue from your previous suggestion and it seems that what you said is true, most cards have a S/PDIF connection to include audio.

All motherboards with PCI-Express slots support ATI graphics.

Some graphics cards have S/PDIF, some have onboard audio, some have neither. I spoke of my HD 3850 graphics card because it has onboard audio.
!