xcalibur377

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2008
I could not seem to find a clear answer to my problem so I decided to ask here.

I currently have an athlon 64 x2 5000+ with a HT bus of 2000mhz

My mobo however only supports 1000mhz

will I see a significant increase in gaming performance if I switch to a 2000mhz board?

I would normally assume yes but I'm kind of old school and I'm not real sure how these new FSB's work.

I appreciate the help in advance, thanks.

rockbyter

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2008
You would have a performance bottleneck if you replaced your x2 with a phenom. You may also have a bottleneck if you have multiple video cards, but at this moment upgrading just the motherboard with your current components (presumably) you would not see a difference.

The hypertransport bus is available at roughly 2-4x the speed of your current bus, but that bandwidth doesn't matter unless you create a bottleneck by having devices that exceed that particular capacity. Hence the multiple video cards

yomamafor1

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007
First of all, which motherboard do you use? It is very possible that both your CPU and motherboard operate at the same frequency (1000Mhz bus + duplex = 2000MT/s).

Secondly, I would disagree with rockbyter here. Bandwidth has consistently shown that it has very little significance on desktop computing, especially in gaming. Therefore I personally think your motherboard is not bottlenecking your CPU at all.

xcalibur377

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2008
First of all, which motherboard do you use? It is very possible that both your CPU and motherboard operate at the same frequency (1000Mhz bus + duplex = 2000MT/s).

Secondly, I would disagree with rockbyter here. Bandwidth has consistently shown that it has very little significance on desktop computing, especially in gaming. Therefore I personally think your motherboard is not bottlenecking your CPU at all.

It is a K9VGM-V

I'm already relieved to hear that I wont need to upgrade right away. :)

If you check out the specs you'll see that it only supports 2 gigs of ram though, so I will have to upgrade eventually...

hannibal

Distinguished
You need more HT speed when you use two to 20 prosessors... so it's more usefull in server segment. HT can be useful allso in normal use if you saturate your transfer lines with some other devices, but I don't know any that can do it at this moment...

yomamafor1

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007

Well its difficult to put more than 2 slots in a mATX board, but nontheless I recommend you getting 780G mATX board or above. AMD's chipset is better for its own processor.

As for the HyperTransport, AM2 socket's specification dictates HTT to run at 1Ghz (or 2000 MT/s). Therefore your CPU is not bottlenecked by the motherboard at all.