Does "storage" = streaming media?

ericd

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2009
Hi. In light of the good deals available today and after reading about "green" drives and their use for storage I have a couple questions. My iTunes collection lives on an external drive attached to an airport extreme for access (Buffalo Drivestation usb/firewire 500 gb) that I back up to both a second external drive (500gb seagate drive in a KingwinUsb/Firewire case) and also an older Buffalo Linkstation 320 gb. So my media is backed up twice.

This is simple I guess. I'm running out of space. I want to purchase two larger drives (and two new enclosures). I understand that green drives are best for storage. Does that include the drive that I am accessing for streaming (music and movies) or should that drive be faster (ie, Caviar black versus green). In other words does storage also mean streaming media? Should I purchase two green drives? Or using WD as an example, one Caviar black housing media and one Caviar Green for backup purposes?

I can buy 1 TB Caviar Green for $65/1.5 TB for $99 or Caviar Black 1 TB for $99. (should I only be looking at WD?)

If the answer is both can be green I would likely buy two 1.5 TB drives.

And in looking to the future, if I was to buy a RAID box, It seems that green drives aren't meant for RAID - if so, should I ignore green and buy faster drives now. I don't know when i'll be able to do this, depends on finances.

I hope this is clear.

Thanks for the help, Eric

Solution
+1 for green, also since it just for media, you don't require super fast ssds unlike for like professionals that work on photoshop and save often where sdd speed is a factor

ericd

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2009

thanks for the help. Further reading I saw that: "This drive is not certified for 24/7" - I read that on Newegg in a review. Is this correct? I generally don't turn off my external drive.

TRENDING THREADS