woodyfly

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2007
My e6300 i idle at 45-46C, goes up to 55+ with some load... when it hits 60c, the choppyness and jerkyness appears in my games. This is with dust-free, good airflow and artic cooler pro. With my stock heatsink, i used to get 50-55 idle and rocketed up to 65 while gaming lightly... Ive tried the basic checks like remounting my hsf, dusting, spyware, etc... everythings fine.. seems to be a hardware problem.

Anyways, what are some ways to pinpoint what exactly is causing the overheat? Someone told me to watch for my voltages with speedfan but i was a bit confused on what exactly to look for.

Is it my cpu? my mobo? PSU?

Windows xp sp2
E6300 Duo core - non-overclocked
GA-945P-S3 F6 (latest bios)
1gb corsair ram
7600gs PCI-e 512mb
Artic cooler pro HSF
ax400-PN fotron PSU

rockbyter

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2008
A major observation is that your 12v line in speedfan is reading at 16v. something is wrong with your power here and there. Got another power supply lying around, or check in your bios to confirm those voltage readings.

another observation is your video card. it could use an upgrade, and check its temps for choppyness in games. as for cooling, how fast do you have your fan spinning? auto or otherwise just on?

woodyfly

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2007
Auto i guess, but i have a huge fan blowing air into the side of the pc panel and out the other side.

I might have some other PSU lying around, not sure if they work but ill try them tomorrow.

As for the bios readings... all it says is: +12V "ok"
Only voltage setting there was is "Normal CPU Vcore 1.32500V"

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
I don't think you have the HSF installed properly. Running that E6300 stock shouldn't be that warm, especially with that cooler, when its installed correctly.

Hard to say if speed fan is reading everything correctly as well. The 16v is actually reading from the -12v side, which I don't believe has any purpose of used. However the 12v is actually reading 0v.

I'd make sure you have the latest MB chipset drivers installed, that might help speed fan readings. You should also try to figure out exactly what its seeing. Your MB should have a utility app that shows temps as well, like the CPU/System temp.

lcaley

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
I've found that Speedfan is very unreliable with the voltages. Mine are all over the place in Speedfan (+/- 5v sometimes) and in the BIOS, nothing is ever off by more than +/- .2v. If your BIOS says your voltages are fine, then I wouldn't worry about it.

As for your temps, this is a dumb question, but it must be asked. You did use a quality thermal grease (something like AS5) when you mounted your HSF, right?

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Speedfan shows the same voltages as my MB (DFI LAN - Smart Guardian) utility app. Not saying the readings are accurate, but it gives you some guideline to follow. Also, any program that gives readings, uses the same chip, or sensor(s) as well as the bios. So there is no such thing as another temp/voltage/rpm apps that more accurate then the other.

Although you can offset things on certain programs.

And again, if your using generic MS MB drivers, then that might prevent utility apps from working properly.

woodyfly

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2007

........... of course.

As for the person that said my hsf isnt installed correctly. i dont see any other **** way of installing it. Ive tried every angle and ive checked the bottom of my mobo to make sure the little white pins went thru. After they go thru, i make sure theyre pushed all the way down and lock em.

lcaley

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007

I meant no offense, it's always best to start with the basic. Sometimes you find an easy solution that way. Good luck with it.

woodyfly

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2007
Yeah thanks.. but its like i tried most of the basic solutions... im willing to spend money and effort. Im not really experienced with hardware but where should i start? New psu first?

We started all this days ago on another thread, but since it was just me and Woodyfly I thought some new viewpoints on the problem would be good.

He is clearly throttling down at 60C, so there's no doubt it's CPU heat.

Since VCore seems to be at a good range and the CPU seems to be at stock speed, would you guys agree it must just be a defective CPU?

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
How about showing a pic of the MB with the HSF?

Also, tell us the ambient temp. The ambient temp would be the main factor as well as airflow.

I don't think none of us would recommend you replace your PSU or CPU when the chances are, you'll have the same problem.

I'm using a Q6600 (95-137W), and with my case being at 83-85F, my idle temps are basically lower then your idle. Even right now with my PC case ambient temp of 85F, my Tcase idle temp shows 30C.

So with a 65W CPU with a pretty decent HSF, you idle temps should be for the Tcase range, 25-30C, again depends on the ambient temp as well as airflow.

woodyfly

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2007
Ambient temp is low... we always have ac running and its usually cold. As for airflow, i have both panels on the sides of my pc open.... i got a big fan blowing into one side and out goes air thru the other side.

As for the pic of my mobo, i dont have a camera. But ive tried remounting it several times, i dont see how i might be doing something wrong while mounting.

Dont know if this means anything but usually forcing games to play on Core1 makes my games run much better