ncc74656

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2009
I plan to run 3-4 intel 80GB SSD's in a raid-0, have any of you out there seen benches comparing 2,3, or 4 drives together? has anyone out there played with this setup before? just looking for input to justify buying 4 or droping to 3.

Don't bother with 4. Honestly, I probably wouldn't bother with 3 either - you'll just be saturating your controller, and with that many drives in RAID, your chances of failure are increased (and I don't care what people say, SSDs are not immune to failure). Do you really need the capacity, or are you just looking for bragging rights?

ncc74656

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2009
little of both, i get the drives for 124 a peice... i have a sataII 8X PCI-E controller card from HP. i forget the model now but raid 0,1,5,6,10 support with 256MB onboard cache. planing to link them to that, its a 4 port card. i want to clear 750Mbps read.. my goal is 1GBps read but i think i need 5 drives to do that

oh they will be my OS drive, so i dont care if they fail... ive got warranties on them for a reason. as far as data goes i keep it all on my raid 6 seperate. currently im at 12.9TB of storage on the raid

i almost alwas run my os drives in a raid0, over the years i moved from a dual 80 to dual 150's, running 500 now on my C drive but i would like to have 220GB of space, and 3 drives would work for that. i just want things to load fast, games and such. im building a high end budget system so... trying to make due with what i got