Water coolent issue

nolij

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2009
im puzzled. i have a MCP655 pump and a swiftech mirco1 reservoir cooling a QX6700 OCed to 3.2. i noticed the coolent level degrading. i have uv coolent and two black light. i found no coolent leaked anywhere in the rig. so i refiiled and ran for a while. then i marked the level were the coolent stood. after a few days the coolent level was down a good chunk. the res sites right above the the cpu. also on the res i have a koolance pressure valve sucking out air pressure build up. any ideas. possible slow leak?

nolij

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2009
i think it was called tygon or the massterkleer. 7/16" thick 1/2" out i rechecked every connection and have them held with metal clamps. i see no signs of leaking. on the radiator the fittings are plastic so the shine bright with the black light. no sign of leakage. rechecked around the cpu no leakage there. there pump is nowhere near anything to ruin but i see no leak there. this started happening when i put the pressure valve on the res.

Conumdrum

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
Take the pressure valve out. No one uses them. If you measure the water in the res with the system running and the next day it's dropped at all you have a leak. My water level will drop less than 1/32" in 2 weeks, if not less than that.

Measure, let it run a day, leave it on. Does the level drop?

How did you mount the rad? You sure you didn't puncture a hole in a rad fin with too long screws?

nolij

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2009
im going to take the valve out, put the old one back and check the rad when i rebuild in my new tower. i used short screws though. almost to the point were i needed longer ones. the screws are no were near the fins. but i wont rule out checking them. im monitoring it right now. thanks guy these forums are great.

+1. Also don't add in those fancy coolant and stuff. You DO NOT want this to happen:
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showpost.php?p=3837299&postcount=1
Run distilled water + PT Nuke (or Kill Coil). Just get UV tubing if you must. One of my friends just took apart his set up and sure enough there were some unknown black partials. He was using HydrX (iirc). I'll see if he got any pics of that.

nolij

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2009
that has to be the scariest crap ive ever seen on a pc. im using primochill pc ice with the blue uv die. ouchy? dis the coolent and use the water and pt nuke? temps on the QX6700 are around 40C give or take. but i have it under my desk, when on top the desk the are 28C to 36C.
here are some pics of it:

the res is behind the PSU, the pump is across from the PSu now, not what is shown. im not cooling the graphic cards anymore.
DSC02366.jpg

DSC02485.jpg

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
It could be that you didn't purge the air from your radiator when you filled your system and the bubbles are finally being pushed out of the cooling fins/tanks. Also, like previously stated, hopefully you didn't pierce the fins of the rad with any screws when mounting the radiators...

nolij

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2009
that did cross my mind after. but i took down the entire system. and i feel like crap. it had a leak at the bottom port of the rad. so some teflon tape and tightening did the job.

oh to overshocked, i wouldnt say they are the oddest places. sometimes these "odd" place give better flow. the rad fans are some indtrial type i picked up. they run around 3600 to 4000 rpms each. they work damn well. they shoot air to the cards, which shoot air out the back of the case. i set everything up in a bigger case. a 29in h x 19 deep server case on wheels. damn thing is huge. i need to figure out how to remount the spu though. the server had a 2 unit caged psu. i never seen anything like it. will post pics later.