Sign in with
Your question

SATA to USB Adapter

Last response: in Storage
November 28, 2009 5:44:46 AM

Now that I am taking the plunge and making my own external drive, I figger that I need some way to test a drive out of the case.

So, I guess that I need a SATA to USB adapter to see whether a drive works outside of the enclosure.

Which ones are recommended?

I've seen comments that some do not have the power to handle larger drives, say 500GB+.

I saw SATA-PATA USB Adapter - Anyone Know A Great One?, but did not find thgat to be definitive, and the discussion is about 10 months old.

Opinions?

More about : sata usb adapter

a b G Storage
November 28, 2009 9:24:55 AM

Wouldn't it just be easier to buy an enclosure for $40-$50?
m
l
a b G Storage
November 28, 2009 10:11:40 AM

kaikow said:
Now that I am taking the plunge and making my own external drive, I figger that I need some way to test a drive out of the case.
So, I guess that I need a SATA to USB adapter to see whether a drive works outside of the enclosure.

I have one of those. I forget what brand mine is (I'm on vacation right now). Very handy. But all you need to do to test and format the drive is to open up your computer and temporarily cable the drive to the computer.
m
l
Related resources
a b G Storage
November 28, 2009 10:38:59 AM

I have a 5.25" external case which is intended for optical drives which I use to test hard drives. Instead of squeezing it into a regular 3.5" case I can just put it loosely in the case. It has both eSATA and USB connections and a power switch.
It's very convenient.
m
l
November 28, 2009 2:11:11 PM

jsc said:
I have one of those. I forget what brand mine is (I'm on vacation right now). Very handy. But all you need to do to test and format the drive is to open up your computer and temporarily cable the drive to the computer.

Depends on the computer.

Likely not easy to do with a notebook.

My desktop is fully loaded, so not easy to do.

I've done as you suggested with SCSI drives by using an unused connector.
m
l
November 28, 2009 2:13:23 PM

buwish said:
Wouldn't it just be easier to buy an enclosure for $40-$50?

The goal is to be able to test the drive independently of the enclosure.
m
l
November 28, 2009 4:30:02 PM

I Just purchased .

Why?

1. What do I know?
2. Price is $25, plus shipping, until Monday.
3. Phone folkes seemed to know their thing and were very helpful.
m
l
!