4GB (2x2GB) G.Skill PC6400
Pioneer DVD+-RW
VisionTek HD4850
Seagate 7200.11 500GB HDD
EDIMAX Wireless Adapter
Corsair TX650W PSU
Cooler Master CM-690
Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro

When I try to turn on my pc, It starts (motherboard lights up, LED fans shine, all fans run) but nothing shows up on screen and it restarts itself in 2-5 seconds.

Obviously I have no idea what is wrong (this is my second build, other build ran fine first try). I ordered all parts except DVD drive and case from Newegg.com

Thank you for your time

fugben

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2008
Im no expert. Although i would make sure your ram, cpu, graphics card and all other cabling is tight. Beyond that i cant help need some tech geniuses in here

xshyguyx

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2008
yeah, that's all fine. I have no idea what the problem is.

Although during installation the CPU fan kept popping off (don't know if this helps anything)

pbrigido

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2008
I would double check you ram just to be sure. Sometimes it is hard to see inside the case if each stick is properly seated. Also, try moving the ram to a different DIMM location. You also may want to make sure that you have your PCI-E card plugged in.

If your CPU fan keeps popping off, that could very well be the cause. If your CPU heatsink uses the push in clips to secure it to your mobo, you also may want to verify that is also tight. They should be able to withstand a moderate pulling force on each corner. If they do pop out, you are not getting a proper connection to the CPU itself.
I know these seem obvious, but they are always the things I overlook when I am all excited and rushing though a new computer build.

ArgleBargle

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2008
What does the POST beep sound like (or do you even get one)? I bought a Coolermaster 690 case and found out it didn't come with a speaker, so I picked one up at a local used computer parts store for a few bucks -- helpful for diagnosis. Also I find it is nice to have an old tried-and-true PCI video card around. Even though I only use it for testing, it was handy to have around when I built my most recent build and narrowed the problem down to the new video card (specifically the PCI-e slot on the motherboard -- the other one works fine).

thatGuyAgain

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2008
When the computer starts up does it give you a beep code before shutting down? 1 beep signifies that the post was successful, more than one is bad. But if you get more than one it can tell you whats wrong with it. Also if there is no beep code, check to make sure that the 4pin +12V cpu plugged is plugged in (i had a similar issue with mine and when i checked i forgot to plug it in).

If your CPU HSF kept popping off, chances are it may not be secure even now. If that is the case, overheating could be the reason for the shutdowns. The popping off and reseating will likely have messed up the thermal paste, so I'd take it off, reapply new paste, then make sure the HSF is properly locked into place before you turn it on again.
When you say "2-5 seconds," I'm assuming the time does vary, that it isn't just the same amount of time in that range. That too suggests overheating. If it were something like a bad switch, it would be cutting off in 4 seconds every time.
Reset the BIOS to default using the onboard jumper.
Did you mount the mobo directly to the case, or did you use standoffs in the mounting holes? Did you use any standoffs where there are not corresponding screw-holes in the mobo?
BMK, there are plenty of people here who obviously know how to troubleshoot problems. Please sit down and be quiet if you have nothing useful to suggest.

OrderChaos

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2008
+1 "BMK, there are plenty of people here who obviously know how to troubleshoot problems. Please sit down and be quiet if you have nothing useful to suggest."

xshyguyx

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2008
I did use standoffs where there was holes in the mobo tray. The 4-pin CPU power connector is in and the video card has power. I have an older 400watt power supply that I plugged into 2 case fans, HDD, mobo, CPU, video card. with that PSU set to 110, the some thing happened. when it was switched to 230, it ran consistently but the HDD didn't make a sound and the monitor still did not pick up a signal. There is no beep when it turns on (and no speaker in case). The fans simply light up and turn on and the lights on the video card and mobo near the ram lightup. When it turns off, there is also no sound and it restarts itself and does this in a loop. When i switch off the I/O pannel on the PSU, it has one last flash of lights and then stops. The time of restart is fairly consistent with roughly 1/3 varrying in speed.

Did you put any standoffs in holes in the mobo tray where there was not a corresponding hole in the mobo?
Where are you, and what is your mains AC voltage? Why would you have set your PSU switch to something other than your mains? If your mains is 110, you may not have fried anything setting to to 230.
After you reset the BIOS to default, remove all but one stick of RAM. Try each stick in turn if necessary. If it boots with one stick, you may need to go into the BIOS and manually set your RAM voltage. The default is 1.8, but your RAM may need more, particularly with multiple sticks.

xshyguyx

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2008
All of the standoffs are correctly placed. I'm in Cali, no AC (the psu that i changed the mains on was the 400watt...the TX650 doesn't have a switch. I don't see why I would have to reset the BIOS if I haven't even been able to start the PC yet. It has one small beep when it turns on (after 2 seconds) but then nothing (and it comes from HDD). Do you think it is a bad part or something?

gaiden

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2008
lets simplify things first...

-first unplug and take out everything including cpu/ram/video card

-second reinsert your cpu (dont force it, make sure the arrows on the side match) reapply thermal paste and sit your heatsink, double check your sitting position make sure it's straight and all.

-third reinsert video card, make sure you hear or feel a snap action when pressing down, again, dont force too much.

-fourth insert 2 sticks of rams (if you have 2 of them), make sure you read your mobo instruction on slots that you would insert for dual channel.

-fifth connect power supply lines to only the following:
-motherboard (4 or 8pin)
-video card (6 or 8pin)
-hard drive (connect your sata/pata port to the mobo as well)

pc only need these things to POST, so leave the rest unplugged to avoid confusion. do google your mobo for any beep code or documentation of any mishappenings, it helps.

you can leave the video card unplugged if your motherboard has a vga port.

it's a lot of rework, but it's the best way to solve a problem that you have no idea where to look IMO.

gl

jeb1517

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2007

+1^

All I can suggest is that you either purchase a case speaker to hear any beeps from your motherboard or find alternate (working) computers to individually test your new components. Also, first you said it had no beeps when it turned on then you said it had one small beep which came from the HDD which I doubt since HDDs don't have speakers...best of luck

fleakiller

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2008
Why did you switch to 230 ?

You will also need to connect the main 20+4 pin main power connector.
Try with one stick of RAM first. You can always add the second stick once it is working, possibly after checking RAM voltage.

Your mobo manual will have a diagram showing where the CMOS reset jumper is located; I believe it is near the battery on that one.

fleakiller

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2008

A speaker for mb is good for trying to find problem this will point you in right direction

kyeana

Distinguished
May 21, 2008
Make sure the 24 pin and the 4 pin power connectors are hocked up to your mobo properly. Then reset bios (by using the jumper, check in your mobo manual) or removing the CMOS battery for 10 minutes (only battery on the mobo). Once you have done that try starting it up with just 1 stick of ram (if your mobo has an onboard graphics card use that and take your graphics card out, it not then keep your graphics card seated). If it posts with just one stick of ram then go into your bios and manually change the ram voltage up to 1.9 or 2.0.

Good luck

xshyguyx

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2008
Sorry for the late response. Everything is hooked up correctly, I reset the CMOS, I also tried different ram (crucial and G.Skill). I am done toying with it tonight but in the morning, I plan to hook up the new PSU to an older computer to see if that works. Also, when I start the pc, all of the phase lights come on, does this mean that the processor is working?